heat soak?? sitting in traffic...

A

Anonymous

if i sit in traffic in the R` or let a idal for a long period of time when i go to pull away it runs like a bag o sh1te,if i put me foot to the floor it revs to 2k then back dwn to 1k up to 2 and so fourth is this from wer the intercooler sits on top and gets to hot?im after a frount mount anyway so will this solve the problem?

A

Anonymous

Cant see it being heatsoak.
Sounds more like Idle control valve problem, or electric flt

J

J-GTi-R

Ah that doesn't sound like heatsoak induced safe mode to me, that would still rev to the redline, just badly. if it's bouncing at low revs but not getting any further, then that would be limp-home mode.

Do a fault code check, one of the sensors might be buggered and is misbehaving when it's getting hot.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I think fail safe mode just limits you to about 2400rpm. It shouldn't be erratic or anything, just total lack of power :?

edited to give it its proper name

J

J-GTi-R

safe mode doesn't limit the revs at all, it's only limp-home mode that limits revs.

A

Anonymous

yeah total lack of power with foot to the floor it revs to bout 2k then drops to 1k then 2k the 1k and so on the car will move but not very fast either turn the car off for a min then start it and its fine ill do a diagnostic check now.

A

Anonymous

also i posted about i have my cat temp sensor warning light on i got under the car and the sensor has been re fitted into the exhaust pipe and the plug is still joined underneath the drivers seat cd this be anything to do with it?

J

J-GTi-R

SPOTTED THE PROBLEM!!!!!

Yeah mine did the same thing when I had the new exhaust put on. The fitter had to cut the cat sensor out, as it had corroded in. He tried tucking it out of the way, but when sat stationary in traffic, the car would go into limp-home mode (as yours is doing). I just assumed the heat off the exhaust is far too much for the sensor and it was causing a fault.

Just unpleg the cat temp sensor (under the driver's seat as you mentioned) and all will be well.