heat testing help needed

• Thread starter gotoinstant-redline
  • Start date
G

gotoinstant-redline

hey all,

i've got to the stage with my carbon bits, that i need some help testing some materials in certain positions.

i need to find out how durable the 2 types of gelcoat and resins i'm using are. when they are exposed to the heat of our turbo engines.

now my car is off the road atm :( but i know a lot of you drive them every day. what i need help with is this..

if i get a few bits of fibreglass ready, then i need someone to mount then under their bonnet in various places to see how well the resins etc deal with the heat..

i'm not expection the resins to be any good at direct heat shielding the turbo. this will simply be too hot for them. but i do want to put some samples in these places..

next to the afm
next to the turbo intake at turbo end
on inside of bonnet above turbo
and a plug cover for the frount mount crew.

i only need these parts to be on a car for a week, so long as the car is used for at least 1 hour every day for that week. then each day check the state of the various tests and check for any sign of damage..

the resin is meant to be ok up to abour 480deg c. so i dont think there will be any problems. but the exhaust can run as hot as 800 or even more. hence not wanting to do any heat shield tests on the exhaust or the hot side of the turbo.

so anyone want to help out and have a few bits of fibreglass stuck to their car for a week?

if you are interested in helping, i'm based in reading but can travel around the place. you can contact me via this post or a pm or my email.. Luke@LDASport.co.uk

thanks in advance for your help folks

L.