Heating probs

T

Tart

OK, can't find my original post but finally got to look at the R's overheating problem and i have an update. When the car is hot, the top pipe on the rad is obviously very hot (too hot to hold) but the bottom pipe is only luke warm!!! does that sound like rad block, waterpump, thermostat, or head??? Im pretty sure its not a rad block.... wat would u recommend checking first. Im thinking remove the thermostat???

Also, how easy is the clutch master to change?

A

Anonymous

Tart said:
OK, can't find my original post but finally got to look at the R's overheating problem and i have an update. When the car is hot, the top pipe on the rad is obviously very hot (too hot to hold) but the bottom pipe is only luke warm!!! does that sound like rad block, waterpump, thermostat, or head??? Im pretty sure its not a rad block.... wat would u recommend checking first. Im thinking remove the thermostat???

Also, how easy is the clutch master to change?
have you done anything to the coolant system before this problem started :?:

if you have,first thing you should do is make sure there is no air in the coolant system.

with the engine stopped and the engine cold :wink: ,remove the rad cap and set the heater controls on full heat.start the engine and leave it with a fast idle,1000-1500rpm.it's better to have someone watching the rad for air bubbles and to top up the coolant,as necessary,but it's not essential.you can watch the rad yourself with the engine at normal idle but it's better/quicker with a slightly raised idle speed.

once you've done this and found no fault,you can move onto the harder stuff :cry:

ex-gtir

far easier to use the bleed point by the thermostat housing
if the top hose is hot id say its the themostat or pump in that order as the water goes into the top of engine and is pumped around and is held in the block by the stat when the stat open at set temp the water enters the rad again the top hose get hot is becanse the sat is shut and the heat is being transfereing the olny way it can which is the opposite to normal
mike

T

Tart

Well thanx for the advice, problem resolved. Changed the thermostat, she is now running lovely. Took it out for a "quick" drive and ended up doing a circuit of the M25 cause it was running so well. . . . :) Great fun......... TA