Hello!

M

moley

Hi there, i'm moley from cornwall and i'm new to the forum.

Just thought i would post this to say hi, and i'm looking to buy a gti-r.
I'm going to look at an import on saturday, and just wondered if anyone has any extra tips on what to look for apart from whats in the buying info section.

The car is pretty much standard and is on around 70,000km. Its not been registered yet, so i would be the first UK owner. Looks in mint condition from the outside (i've been and sneaked a quick look :-D ), just wondering what sort of money it would go for??

Cheers people

nimhbk

hello

paid £3300 for mine with 52 thousand on the clock in standard fella...
not to sure what else to look for

M

moley

Ideal, that gives me a ball park figure o work around.

Cheers.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
IMHO, buy a known car from the forum and pay the extra if needs but frequently nowadays the good cars fetch the same as the bad ones.

Fresh imports might be great, might break down after 2000 miles and cost you thousands.

good luck with your searching.

Jim

nimhbk

well good shout

to be fair i have had mine for one year and a half , have now done about two thousand miles in it ... and the only problems i have had are the one's i made, using the tool kit trying to upgrade parts, only to f-ck it up...
And it was a fresh one from japan, still runs very well, but thats keeping it at normal boost (fast enough for me) only done the silicone pipes and the fmic, (stay away from blue flame exhaust thou fell to bits after a couple of months....)

kenan

South West Regional Rep
Hi Moley, welcome to the forum. I'm from Devon myself, which importer are you looking to get it from?

M

moley

Its just a local guy in newquay.
Apparently he used to import perfomance cars, but now only imports bongos (hmmm???)!!
This is one of two performance cars he has left and just hasnt got round to selling it.
Its been dry stored for the last year or so. I mentioned to a freind i was looking for one and he told me about this one, so i thought i would check it out.
I'm going for a look tomorrow so i will have more info after that.
Cheers

tomble

Greetings, Moley. Good to see one more user from Cornwall!

I'm from Launceston myself.

Hope to see you in Newquay sometime!

Tom

M

m34ts_pulsar

hi mate.. yeah i agree with campbellju like he said, its all good buying a fresh import but if you buy one of a forum or from a enthusiast the chance of it going wrong is minamised.. plus if it has bin stood for a year things will go and cost you.. trust me!! i bought my R for £3250 ive had it for about 3 months and so far... the engine had to be replaced, it needed a new clutch, new exhaust, plus little things i wanted too do... now ive spent well over 4k on it in 3 months!!! just buy one for around 5k mate (try and get).... rebuilt engine, rebuilt gear box, uprated clutch, front mounted intercooler.. im saying all these because it will minamise the problems which u will mite have to pay out for.. plus the upgrades you might want in time (which will cost you even more cash!!!)

im not trying to put you off mate im just talking from experiance and wishing i had done in the first place!!!!!

good luck mate, and welcome to the forum :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
M

moley

Well i went to look at this R this afternoon.
On first looks it looks really good. I took it for a drive and the steering is precise and tight, the engine seems to be ok good oil and boost presure, and the gear box is really tight and accurate i was delighted.
Luckily i took my mate with me who is a professional paint sprayer and pointed out that all of the door seals had over spray on them, on closer inspection it has been fully resprayed.
Its really annoying because the car seems to be great other than this. its just what the respray is hiding that i dont like, and the guy who is selling it seems a bit of a wide boy trying to make up stories and that.
I reckon i could get it for £3500 cash, maybe less as he wants it gone. it just feels like he isn't telling me something. I think i may leave it.
Nevermind.

keggles2001

There is a grey one on ebay for sale i think that its for sale on here or the modifiers have a look you will probably get a better spec car its up for 3400 i think:thumbsup:

KF79GTIR

well done mate dont get impulsive for a pulsar it will bite you in the ass in the not to distante future

kenan

South West Regional Rep
KF79GTIR said:
well done mate dont get impulsive for a pulsar it will bite you in the ass in the not to distante future
This will be my problem when looking for one :doh:

M

moley

If the car has not been registered in the uk, will i be hit for any sort of import tax or anything?????

kenan

South West Regional Rep
moley said:
If the car has not been registered in the uk, will i be hit for any sort of import tax or anything?????
If it's not registered you will have to SVA, register it etc. Think that costs about 1K, anyone wanna confirm this?

M

moley

thanks guys, much appreciated.
think i will give this R a miss, unless he drops the price a lot!!

Fire & skill

Vintage member
im confused - £3500 is expensive?

how the hell can you guys get your R's so cheap - up here its at least 5 grand from a dealer and most people wont part with their R's for under 4 grand privately.