Help...Car runs like thomas the tank engine

Kingy69

This is the story so far.Went to Mexico in september and got K.O by a jet ski at 55mph so have not been able to use my car until now due to injuries.
Car was smoking a little before i went but when i came back it started but wouldnt idle.It more or less shook itself to pieces,idle was 450rpm.Smoke bellowed from the exhaust.When i stripped it down...with my one good hand the turbo was loose as the nuts had worked there way off.I decided to get the turbo checked and it was half dead so bought a new super hybrid T28,same as previously fitted.Ive fitted this,not easy i can tell you with one hand.Primed the turbo like you do and started the car and it still wont idle.
Fault check shows the AFM code.I take it this is the module just after the filter with the two tiny sensors to check flow.This was clean but dont know what other checks can be done.
Ive got a Apexi safc fitted and if i change the pressure sensor to 1 in 3 out it idles at 1300rpm previously it was 996rpm.Dont really know what im doing when it comes down to this unit but it was set at 1 in 1 out so by altering is this just compensating for the fault as it still doesnt seem to run properly.There is white smoke from the exhaust but this is water not oil.probably just condensation build up.
Any help would be greatful as i live near peterborough and no one round here will touch the car and it doesnt really run well enough to get it anywhere for repair so im screwed.

C

chris-b

i would remove plug to afm, clean both connectionswith elec cleaner (get @ local car shop probably) and check pins for corrosion, water ingress etc. whilst your there, have a look at your afm ( the hotwire part) is ist oily/ dirty-
next i would try swapping it with another one if u can.
Remember- always try the basics first when diagnosing complesx faults- single best advise i can give! i.e ignition-plugs etc, battery, fuel, blah blah

another tip, look up afm faults with the search button! :wink:

Kingy69

i have checked leads and cap as i had a spare set plus i changed the plugs today with new ones....i thought the same.Question is why does the car idle when the safc is altered.Surely if it was plugs or leads etc it would still not idle.

C

chris-b

well, the fuel controller fools the ecu into giving the engine more or less fuel dependant on your setting etc. maybe somethings (sensor?) telling the ecu to lower fuel and then it runs rough, but then u tell the ecu u want more fuel with controller thus helping it run?
its hard to diagnose without being there!

I

Innovate Performance

You afm would also cause this type of fault so it is well worth doing the diag checks for the fault code that you have.

If not then mate, hate to be the bearer of but new but have you thought about the fact that you are burning water and you head gasket may have gone or be on it way out :(
I would do a block check just to be sure.

Kingy69

I have checked the plug and no signs of damage or corrosion.Fuel is ok and not restricted...pulled pipe off the other day to check and copped an eye full.inside its as clean as a whistle,no oil at all.
I am now the proud owner of a skip on wheels....it does have a stereo that works though!!!

Kingy69

i wasnt sure about the head gasket.You could be right but i would like to clear the afm fault as this must be causing some sort of problem.In the last few months i am getting used to bad news.I have no water in oil nor any signs of leaks etc.the car has been sat for over two months and its not had any sort of run since.

I

Innovate Performance

Innovate Performance said:
You afm would also cause this type of fault so it is well worth doing the diag checks for the fault code that you have.

If not then mate, hate to be the bearer of but new but have you thought about the fact that you are burning water and you head gasket may have gone or be on it way out :(
I would do a block check just to be sure.
didnt know if you had seen this post :D

C

chris-b

well yeah, iwas coming to that. do a compression and block test on it.
its a poo feeling when your seeing them needles flick (or not!!) on the gauge.
does the zorst smoke smell sweet? like antifreeze? is there alot of smoke?

Kingy69

doesnt seem to really smell but it doesnt seem to be dying off.will do checks soon to see if it is that.major problem if it is because there is no garage round here that will fix it nor anywhere to get the car set up on the rollers.

C

chris-b

antifreeze wont evaporate like plian water. also it is proper cold out!
have you got access to block and compression tester
also have you got breakdown service?

Kingy69

I cant quite work this out.Started the car to just double check fault code and it ran like crap...stalled.Started it again and fault has gone car ticks over fine and all settings as they were.Drove up the road and new turbo kicks in perfect.Still white smoke on start up but soon clears,like stated it is cold.Engine did start to over heat but this was just an air lock from refilling after turbo change and now thats ok.I really cant work this out at all.Still slightly worrying so i will get the block checked but oil pressure was ok,temp fine and response good.Boost was good too!been driving a turbo diesel this week,not really the same feeling.

H

heaven is a gtir (bry)

I had what sounds like this problem. :cry: When i went for a drive it would blow out s##t loads of soot all over the back of the car and i could only do 40-50 mph :shock: . What i was told in the end was it was the exhaust. The baffles had colapsed and were causing back pressure in turn which were coaking up the spark plugs even though when i checked them it didnt seam like it was. If you have got an old or standard exhaust take it off do about 2 miles with it off then put a new one on, then after about 20 miles it should be ok.

Dont hold me to this though. :roll:

Kingy69

Cheers for that but the problem has gone for now so fingers crossed.It did sort of cough then splutter and then all was ok.The crap out the exhaust was just sooty deposits mixed with water and it was all up the back of the car.Smoking has now cleared while driving and trust me the beast didnt have much trouble going past fifty.Think the neighbours might not be to happy though since they have had the drone of the 5" goose all day!!!!

ki_saj_ng

ok, this same thing has happened to me twice, but worked out that the first was just a loose dump valve pipe.

the 2nd was more worrying tho, earlier on the day it happened, i had the intercooler of as i was working underneath it - cleaning if u call that working :D - once i put it all back, went out for a bit to a mates and the car felt a bit wierd but got there. i parked up for a bit and the car would not stay started after. had to tow the car home, 2 tow ropes snapped in the process. once we got home 1am, checked over everything in the dark and could see nothing loose or anything. locked up and went to sleep but it was well hard.

the wierd part, the next morning got up well early to crack on, tried to start the car before beginning work on it and it fired up as good as ever and its never happened since, well a popped engine doesnt count does it?

WIERD!!!

thats R's for u,

saj 8)