help help help!

G

getlower

i have recently purchaced a gtir had it about 2 weeks very impressed. i was giving it the once over yesterday. and found that the air flow plug had been cut of and replaced with individual termanals. so i was just making sure they were tight on there and they sparked and the car cut out. it wouldnt start again so i checked the fuses and found that the engine comp fuse had gone in the fuse box near the inner wing on the passenger side. so i replaced this but the car still will not start. i dont have any fuel coming up and i dnt have a spark. just wondering if any1 had any ideas? any other locations of fuse boxs ect? were is the ecu located? does the ecu have a fuse? do you think i could have blown the ecu? i have put a live feed to the fuel pump and everything is ok there. any info would be much appershated thanx:roll:

A

AJ4

If you short out the AFM wiring you can blow a track in the ECU ( quite common when doing the AFM ground modification ).

Take the ECU and have a look for blown tracks. The ECU sits dead centre inside, on top of the transmission tunnel next to the firewall.

G

getlower

checked that and u are right fixed that and the car starts fine, but it wont turn off now when i turn the key. so been trying to find out what has caused this, there is a relay by the ecu i took it out and the car is fine now turns off and starts fine so i thought it was a faulty relay but it isnt i replaced it and it went bk to how it was
? what does this relay do and can i leve it out?

A

AJ4

That sounds like the ECCS relay, and yes, you need it :D

The idea is that the ECU detects a signal from the Crank Angle Sensor to say that the engine is turning over before it will switch on ignition / injection. These are switched through the ECCS relay. If the car won't turn off, it means that there is another blown or shorted component inside the ECU somewhere that is supplying the 12 volt instead of the ECCS. Thats why you can't turn the car off, something is holding the ECCS relay on.

Have a look at the circuit diagram, the above is from memory, you should be able to work out where the problem is.