help me please

C

cpt r toggers

ok number of problems with the beloved...

First i have a strange noise coming from front end sounds the same sort of winning you get when you reverse but a deeper tone, it hasn't affected perfomance or steering or general driving that i have noticed.

I have experienced front wheel spin on a couple of occasions once in wet once in dry but have been informed normal to happen in wet.

There is no change with the gears they still feel smooth as always no problem with the clutch either. I did pop to an import garage to see if they could help and the guy listened to it up the road and said he thought it was my front diff and said labour alone would be over a grand!

Any ideas???

Second problem which only recently arose is my r is running a little lumpy on tick over and along with that it was struggling to dump so when i looked at the dv i noticed its spraying oil and this is why it was struggling to dump any ideas of cause or reason to any of these problems would be much appreciated thanks to all who take time to read and post ideas in advance

GTIR-LOZ

the diffs do whine in first alot and a little in second, the oil in your bov maybe due to blocked breather, oil seperator problems or worn turbo seals, is the whine at full boost or only driving normally

C

cpt r toggers

the whine is constant and has got louder i first noticed it running my parents to airport when it was under load with suitcases etc. Happens on acceleration, decceleration clutch engaged or just coasting pretty constant actually gets louder on acceleration tho.

GTIR-LOZ

could well be worn diff/transfer case, but might be best to check your wheel bearings as well, one could be worn, couldnt hurt to check for play in your turbo wheel though

S

Sunny Nutter

First off I would check your gearbox and transfer box for oil ASAP!,
when my transfer box ran low earlier this year it was whining on hard acceleration and the transmission sounded 'course' but a top up of oil soon sorted that!

C

cpt r toggers

had both gear box oil and transfer box oil checked as soon as i noticed this noise on advice from a fellow r owner. both were fine and quite clean.

Bit of a dunce when it comes to actually doing anything mechanical on a car, how do i check for play in the turbo wheel???

And just to show how stupid i am where abouts exactly is the front diff situated on an r? had different responses in transfer box or gear box??

i appolagise for late responses very rarely have opotunity to get on net but really appreciate all comments and help

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
To check for play in your turbo, you'd need to take the inlet pipe off so that you can grab hold of the turbine itself. Grab hold of the nut on the end of the shaft and try moving it up, down and side to side also in and out along the axis of the shaft. A very small amont of play is ok, but much more and you might be looking for a new turbo soon.

C

cpt r toggers

crickey really doesnt sound like something i could myself.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
cpt r toggers said:
crickey really doesnt sound like something i could myself.
I haven't realy looked at my under bonner set up, but if you can get the inlet connection off the turbo intake, this being the one from the filter/afm it realy is easy, basically if you have any noticeable play in any direction at the shaft your turbo isn't as healthy as it should be.

C

cpt r toggers

thanx ill certainly try and give that a go ill let you know what i find thanx all