Help needed buying a gtir - Standard or Modded ???

J

Jonesy Gti-r

Hi

Im looking to part ex my bmw for a pulsar and i was wondering if its best to buy a standard or modded 1.

I was thinking standard because surely they more reliable? But then again its going to cost alot more to modify it than it would for me to buy 1 already modified wouldnt it?

In the long run am wanting a safe and reliable 300-330bhp from the gtir, so what would you guys do? buy standard so you know exactly whats been done to it and spend money tuning it to 300 or buy 1 that already had the claimed 300bhp?

Any help and advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks its advance

Jonesy

JIMMYBACK

its all swings and roundabouts bud.........a so called standard one can just be a modded one thats had all the goodies taken off it sold separately :shock: :? .so it completey up to you.it probbo better that you buy one the uk as it should have some history of sorts especially if you bought it from this owners club :D just make sure you take a pulsar owner with you so they can spot what the usual problems that occur.i hope this helps :D

Sweeny

How much have you got to spend? I'd hold out and get one thats had a rebuild by a reputable tuner, they come up more often than u think :wink: , and for around the 4.5k mark if your lucky 8) . Just keep your eyes peeled on the usual ebay, trader, pistonheads etc.

maz

best thing is to just do ur homework bud, read the buying guide on this forum: http://bb.gtiroc.com/viewtopic.php?t=12888 - educate yourself a little on the car and as jimmyback says, take a pulsar owner, or atleast a mechanic with you to buy it to spot general problems!

the one i bought had been purchased standard in 2003 and had over 5 grand spent on it in modifications, then the guy sold it to me and it was in great shape, saved me a few bucks!

so its really up to yourself wether u have the finances to mod it from scratch, or the knowledge to buy a modified one in goodshape.

either way in the long run you wont be dissapointed after driving a bmw :p

J

Jonesy Gti-r

Thanks guys.

As for funds......my beemer has to be worth 10k of anyones money. but if I part ex'd it against a pulsar I wouldnt get a good deal (traders dont like cash back trades). so maybe 8500. minus 2200 insurance (im only 21!) gives me about 6k. I would get a good pulsar for 4-5k by the looks of things? so If I spent 5k on the car, and raided my bank, I might have 2.5k for mods if they were needed.

It would be great if someone who knows pulsars came with me! if anyones up for it let me know and where your from, and if i find any in the area i'll take you up on the offer.

Thanks again for the help

J

Jonesy Gti-r

north east

I'll travel the lengh of the country tho to find the right car. and ive got sat nav so its no problem picking people up and dropping them off.

B

beastgtir

selling my pulsar due to crashing my saxo vtr - high insurance and low on cash - dad wont get me insured using his 10 years no claim bonus any longer -

it is the 1st pulsar on auto-trader
midnight green metallic - any details u want to know - ring me - 07976695049

welcome to view the car and make an offer..

B

beastgtir

it has had few sensible mods - last owner was also a member of gtir-oc -

CLICKY

give me call and il give u a quick run down - comes with portfolio of history of car - history of when it was in japan, all old mots etc

needs very minor things doing hence price - tape is not connected, could benefit from a decat - very very slight bit of rust - very common on these - thats about it really - just being honest

J

Jonesy Gti-r

Thanks for the honesty, but it's not for me mate, I need a minter

B

beastgtir

decat done - very minor rust on arch - minor as i must stress - i have seen alot worse on newer cars -