HELP NEEDED CAR WONT START.

D

dlc6662000

I have been using the car every week day to go 15 miles to work and have had no problems at all until Monday Morning.

I washed the car Saturday and started it a few times to move it on the drive. I went to start in monday morning and it didn't even get going tried & died.reset alarm and tried two further times with no joy.

Looked last night battery was holding 12v when trying to start again volts dropped and car would not start. I just turm the key now and a loud clicking can be heard. Finally tried jumping the car but still didn't work It nearly started and sounds like its turning over but wont start up.

Any ideas. Thinking battery has died am looking at getting a new one later today but could it be any thing else.

Damian.

S

Sunny Nutter

It does take alot of power to turn the engine over,
I would try a different battery that you know is good!
failing that try tow starting her, but dont tow her very far at any high speeds, the transmission doesn't like it!

A

Ash

I had the same problem on my GTI-R last friday.
Tried jump starting it from my friends GTI-R, with two different sets of jumper leads, and still could only get the loud clicking sound.
Then got my dads 4WD and tried again, still no go with the first set of jumper leads, then started straight away with the second set of jumper leads.
my advice is, use good quality jumper leads.
one set I had were crappy, and one set were quite good (pretty thick, and had a sensor on them that indicated if they were connected correctly and if the battery was low)
If it happens again soon, I would go to a shop with your old battery and buy a replacement.

P

Phil_d74

Is the clicking noise the starter motor? It is tell tale sign that it is not engaging. This would explain the draw on the battery and why it wouldn't start on the Jump Leads.
Doesn't explain why it wouldn't push start though. :roll:

D

dlc6662000

thanks for the advice.

I have a new battery on order and will fit on Wednesday.

Hopefully It will go then.

Damian.

E

Evil_GtiR

if its not the battery, then it might be a dead fuel pump like what i have now :cry:

J

J-GTi-R

No it sounds like the battery, probably not liking the cold weather. Mine did the same earlier this year when it started getting cold in the mornings, so I stuck a new battery in and it starts every time.

M

Mart

I had the same problem, i thought i was my immoblizer cutting in, cuz all it was doing was clicking.

Put a new batt in and no probs! 8)

A

AZ STE

Make sure your earth lead from the battery is good get a jump start lead and run a secondary earth to the engine to test :wink: