HELP!!!!turbo removal...

turboloon

i'm in the process of trying to take my turbo off...i have disconnected the exhaust from the down pipe removed the 2 rad fans,having a bit of trouble trying to get the down pipe off,going to try heat on it tommorow,with the down pipe off does it make it easier to get at the bolts that hold on the turbo to the exhaust manifold?any help would be greatley appreciated..:thumbsup:

P

pulsarboby

you will have to remove the manifold and turbo as a complete unit, then seperate them afterwards

turboloon

ok cool boby,i take it you can still get exhaust gaskets from motor factors easy enough then,any idea what the torque setting is for replacing the manifold nuts are also are ther any nuts below the manifold to undo as i can only see the ones at the top and at the sides....

G

gsikevin

turboloon said:
ok cool boby,i take it you can still get exhaust gaskets from motor factors easy enough then,any idea what the torque setting is for replacing the manifold nuts are also are ther any nuts below the manifold to undo as i can only see the ones at the top and at the sides....
yes nuts below the manifold and can be a bit of a f**ker to come out

P

pulsarboby

yes theres one nut which is a bit of a fcuker to get at(its the one in bottom middle to the right) you cant get a socket on it and you need a short spanner, 'i generally use a short ring spanner, make sure its firmly seated on nut, then get a bar on top of spanner and give it a clout to break nut loose' all the others are fairly easy to get at.

just tighten them so there tight, dont know what the torque settings are.

the main problem where people **** up is the turbo feed pipes! make 100% sure that you DO NOT put the banjo bolts back into the block cross threaded (easily done) especially with ridged pipes.
just take your time and you'll be fine

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr GTiR

Also, don't forget the small 10mm nut that holds the braket for the water and oil pipes behind the turbo onto the block.

To take a turbo off should take no more than 1hr or 1 1/2hrs tops if you have never done it before.

Trondelond

pulsarboby said:
yes theres one nut which is a bit of a fcuker to get at(its the one in bottom middle to the right) you cant get a socket on it and you need a short spanner, 'i generally use a short ring spanner, make sure its firmly seated on nut, then get a bar on top of spanner and give it a clout to break nut loose' all the others are fairly easy to get at.
Getting the damn thing _off_ is one thing. I never got it back on. :doh:

turboloon

5hrs later and i managed to get that fecking nut off!!! ach well it's off noo,now i've just got to send it down to turbo dynamics...

Lionel

Also when u put the manifold back on try and get a s14A manifold gasket as they are much beter then the standard GTIR shit

G

gsikevin

Lionel said:
Also when u put the manifold back on try and get a s14A manifold gasket as they are much beter then the standard GTIR shit
so u had sum fun lol:-D

Lionel

Done so many now the standard R ones dont last and the s14a ones are metal. The only down side is there £35.00

Braveheart

ashills said:
55 from nissan the last i bought but worth it they do 3 ply ones in US which are cheaper
The last one I bought was three ply from your good self.
Just started to take the OE manifold off today.... what a joy. After trying the blow torch I gave up, sprayed more looseoil on the offending (siezed) two nuts and will get them tomorrow.:doh: