HELP!

mattygti-r

If possible i really need some help.

Started my R today, started fine (hadnt started it in 3 days) and got it up to working temp, moved her out on to the drive...and reversed it out by the garage...it was ticking over for about 10mins

I then switched her off..and now it wont start....battery is fine, and fully charged (spanking new battery)..the Alternator is a brand new one and the wiring seems ok.

Suspected Starter motor... :( am i thinking correctly? some times it starts then it wouldnt..,ive had no prbs with this in '000s of miles..but the ohter day was the first time that it wouldnt start after its new battery/alternator fitted some weeks ago

when jump started, drives fine....ie. no loss of power etc.

Where are the starter motor located on the R? im desperate to get this on the road...needed asap.....any ideas????? :cry: :cry:

cheers for any help..

zia

starter motor is behind the inlet manifold on the gearbox side not an easy job to do.

zia

GINGA

If it starts ok with a jumpstart the the chances are theres nothing wrong with the starter? and you may still have a charging or battery problem, might be a good idea to check to makes sure its charging properly and maybe check the wiring especially the earths etc

mattygti-r

yeah, mate reckons its a starter motor..as it just clicks and then dont turn over...

jumpstarts ok so not too sure...ffs starter motor seems a mare... :( :(

think you could be right in that its either an earth prbs or possible connection worry.

just difficult to know... :cry: :cry:

topcat

If your car turns over when you jump start it , its not the starter, it will be due to the battery being flat.
you need to check the charge rate is ok. and that there is no discharge..I.E nothing is making the battery go flat. like.. boot lamp on, interior lamp on, amps drawing power.. possibly alternator aswell. is dead easy to check. P.M me if u need more advice.

J

Jamie_GTIR

im no mechanic, but when my starter motor went it would start by jumpstarting....

topcat

i am a mechanic....hmm nissan tech
are you sure your not confusing jumpstating and bumpstarting??

bumpstarting is pushing car in gear and letting clutch out..ie spinning the engine over without the starter..

jumpstarting is using jump leads connected to the battery..

:wink: did i say i was a mechanic...errrr(gets 1 million pm's)

Hannie

mine did this recently, it would just click when i tried to start it, but when i jump started it, it seemed fine.
turned out to be as simple as the battery connection was crap, did a bit of adjusting and modification and alls fine now, thankfully

topcat

mattygti-r said:
no jumpstarted it...its cool now but it tried to kill me today..

caliper bolt sheared off :(
you were using the brakes! :lol:
must have been so you could accelerate again ;)

mattygti-r

Hannie, thats what the prb was on mine...simply the battery + connecter is not tight on the terminal even thou the nut is done up as tight as it will go :cry:

anyways went round to Nissan Dealers today...how much for caliper bolts? one side (drivers side) 2 bolts....top was £10 bottom £13.50 plus VAT :roll:

AGGGHHHHH lol

yeah lucky i wasnt going full pelt...was just crusing at 40mph cos it just sheared off like i say :cry:

now got to see if i can repair the alloy too