help

gtir_john

ive just got my short motor back from engineers and found a small wat looks like a crak half way down no 1 cylinder, as i bought the car while the engine was at engineers im not sure wat to do. wil the block be fooked or will it withstand it bearing in mind im probably gonna go for 350 horses :(

MrMischief

If the crack wasn't there before you sent it to the engineer's, I'd go and have words with them and get your money back...or come to some sort of amicable agreement :wink:

If it's cracked, it may be fooked, what about liners?
Depends how bad it's cracked though, I wouldn't risk just rebuilding it though. :roll:

Steve

G

GAZ P

Is the crack due to having the block rebored or was it the reason the engine needed rebuilding in the first place :?: It may be posible to salvage the block by fitting new liners :lol: but if the crack is through to the water housing the block is scrap :cry: My block cracked :cry: after machining to fit Raceware headstuds caused a stress fracture to the main oil gallery along the front edge of the block resulting in an new block kindly payed for by the engineering company. :lol: :lol: :lol:

gtir_john

no i bought the car while engine was stil at engineers, got it back and have seen a hairline crack in no1 cylinder, only very small but as i will be running quite high bhp dont wanna take any chances

J

jiw

even if you where running standard power mate that block is scrap, the crack will get bigger and open wider when the engine is hot, it will also spread due to expansion and contraction, not worth it imo, do the job once and do it properly, jeff

sypher

never mind high-po if the bore is cracked now under ambient temp its ''my opinion'' that its only a matter of time before that crack gets bigger ande causes you a second strip down also give the oil a little sneaky hiding place to enter in the combustion chamber

is not just a scratch that can be honed or is it fresh from machining

gtir_john

could be a scratch but i think thats just me been optimistic, i spoke to the guy i bout it off and he said he would look at it, he thinks that if its only a tiny crack it would be ok, he also said they presure tested it, just worried im gonna be left another block that aint any good as im doin it on a bit of a tight budget

sypher

know the feeling my block is stripped steam cleaned and ready to go to the engineers.

get them to do an ''engineers report'' stating that their work is good will be ok, obviouslt if re-built correctly

J

jiw

go to a local engineering company and ask them to do a dye penetrant check on the suspected crack, dont put that block together without checking and making 100% sure mate, unless your tight budget includes a double bill :?

gtir_john

been to the engineers today and he says its a scratch but still unsure, am gonna take it to another place and see wat they say. have any of you had experience with welding blocks

J

jiw

if its in the alloy casing and its possible to grind out the crack nd re-weld it without interfearing with any oil/waterway's then yes i have seen this done day in day out, not possible on the cast iron liner's though, also if you get any welding done be sure to check for heat distortion, like before, get it dye penned at a local engineering company, this process is very cheap and effective and takes no more than 5 minutes, jeff