help

A

Anonymous

hello guys i have a bit of a technical question which thought was a bit much for the discussion section.im a mechanic so dont be afraid to talk technical.i havent had my pulsar long and when i went to see it one of the first things i noticed was that one shim was slightly noisy and when the car is hot it is a bit clackety but this only happens sometimes as when the shim turns round the noise goes away or when it cold there is no noise at all.now this bugs me so was gonna replace the shim.does this mean cams have to come off or can i access the shims with the speacial tool to hold the lifter down and access the shim? was also thinkin that if i do replace it and make the shim tight there is a risk of burning out a valve if its too tight.wat do i do?shall i leave it till it gets worse or change it.?another thing is over the last few days ive noticed that there is a little bit of oil been thrown out my HKS B.O.V.is this normal for a pulsar?wat could it be apart from the turbo chewing a slight amount of oil :roll: which i really hope its not.is there anything i can do about this.? :?

antgtir

I haven't noticed any oil being thrown out of my SARD BOV (touch wood) but ive only had it on a couple of weeks or so. Just thought id say that but unfortunately i haven't got any ideas on the other issues you have, sorry mate.

Ant.

A

ard1ey

I don't think you'll get the shims out without removing the cams, they are only small things that sit directly on top of the valve stem so you've got nothing to push the valve down with :(

If you have a search, the clearances for the shims and rockers should be posted up many times - if you can't find it I'll dig the book out later. Clearances are supposed to be measured hot, any cold clearance is just for inital setup to get the car running. Shims can be hard to find in correct sizes, so be prepared for a wait :?

Oil coming out of the BOV could be your oil seperator is full of cr@p, try cleaning it all out along with your intercooler. Hopefully that'll solve your problem 8) without getting into leaky turbos, too much blow-by, etc. :shock:

Dooie Pop Pop

are you running a tmic? id whip that off and lean it out at the same time as the seperator :wink: i found a some old oil laying in the bottom of the arc of the dump pipe that goes from the plenum to the dv. clean that out too mate.
photo courtesy of batty matties R

check turbo for play in the shaft. you might need to clean the inlet pipe as well
if your crankcase to inlet breather is still attatched id whip that off, fit a catch tank (coke bottle :lol: ) on the pipe and plug the inlet hole.

sorry bout the dodgey bodgey info but it works :wink:

Mr GTiR

please tell me that spark plug is being used as a bung and not part of a flamer kit :p :twisted: :lol:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I think a couple of people had a problem a while ago with oil coming out of the bov which was put down to thin oil.

Dooie Pop Pop

Fast Guy said:
I think a couple of people had a problem a while ago with oil coming out of the bov which was put down to thin oil.
i was one of em :( last winter :oops: cleaned everything out and its been fine since.

flamer kit on the intake...pmsl, no just what was to hand. it is a hks s45i though which, if you took lots of drugs you could be lead to believe was part of an intake ionisation kit which increases flow rates by 15% (thanks J :wink: ) yours for £95 plus postage.