help!!!!

P

pulsarboby

if you havent ot an airgun get a socket or big ring spanner on the bolt and get a big club hammer and whack the spanner so it shocks the bolt loose.
another way to do it is to put the spanner firmly over the nut, turn spanner clockwise so it jams on something like the lower arm for example, then disconnect the coil king lead and crank the engine over for a split second, this will also break the bolt loose (but make sure its the correct size spanner or socket, and that its firmly on the bolt)

didnt ask! i take it you only want to remove the pulley to change it! and that the engine still has timing chain and everything else fitted? if the timing chain or tensioner or cams have been removed then you will mess the timing up.

Last edited by a moderator:

kev_200uk

its ok for the pulleys to turn then, didnt know if it would affect any timin, n which pully is the tensioner on

P

pulsarboby

yes its not a prob as the timing chain runs from a sprocket which is inside the front cover behind the c/s pulley, and the c/s pulley is located with a woodruff key, so you cannot mess up any timing or nothing else;-)

neil240z

the gtir has a timing chain not a belt (hope your not thinking of changing it as they last a very long time!) and the tensioner is located in the head at the back left side from memory, its held in with 2 small bolts and has a spring loaded piston with a guide the chain sits in, you can force the piston back with a small flat blade screw driver and there is a little catch that you swing round that hooks on and holds it in place, i think thats right but not 100%

regards

Neil

kev_200uk

right, think i got all that, the tensioner i was on about was so i can put a new belt on the pully and the other 2

P

pulsarboby

theres no need to remove the c/s pulley to put either a new alternator belt or power steering belt!
just slacken the tensioner right off on the alternator or and the power steering pump and remove the old belts, and fit new ones then tighten the tensioner bolts up again untill you reach the required tension. simple as that!

kev_200uk

i need to remove the pulley cause broke n its split in two, my fault didnt explain properly at the start