hi, i'm new. please answer my questions. :)

H

housepervert

hey, i'm nik.

i own a 94 starlet gt. 218hp atf. just sold it though and bought a sensible 2002 seat ibiza 1.4.

i'm 20 and had money problems when i had the starlet. thing is...

i was in ashford not long ago and saw a pulsar redline and dump the clutch, i've never seen anything so fast!!! it didn't have a fmic so couldnt of been majorly modded either.

ever since then i've wanted one but they're group 20 insurance!!! ouch! i've read the insurance forum and seems with 3 yrs ncb, 20, and live in a nice area i could have insurance for 1600! ouch still.

what about petrol? expensive having say 250-300hp?
tax is obviously more
are they reliable. if modded well and running right are they reliable? cost of service? etc.

could you help me out please????? thanks.
nik

P

powerfreack

if you are botherd about mpg i wouldnt bother buying one i get around 15mpg-20mpg if i drive like a pussy

they are getting old so some problems will acure but if you get a good one this shouldnt be to much bother but around 300bhp is a good balance for track and road use

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'd have thought your Starlet on the move would have been slightly faster than a standard Gtir. Obviously the Gtir being 4x4 can't half shoot off the line and realy bring those 0-60 times down.
You'll maybe manage 200miles to a tank driving easy on the motorway on a mildly modded Gtir. 250-300bhp will put you in the high to low 4sec bracket for 0-60.

Tax isn't any more as they're an old car and those 4x4 taxes only apply to recent cars.

Full service can be £200+ just for the parts even if you do it yourself.

CruiseGTi-R

Petrol wise for mild mods reckon on 18-20mpg.

I reckon to enjoy Pulsar ownership you need £250 a month exc petrol.

Thats servicing and adding sensible mods for a 300bhp car, which handles and stops well.

Its less if you can buy a car with mods done already where everything is in good nick.

faz

If you buy a decent enough R then you dont have to modify it straight away.

If you have a limited budget then just save for what you can afford.

It is always a good idea to have a little money behind you though for when things go wrong...and believe me the normally do!

DanDud

Pulsars are no better or worse than any old car for reliability. Id like to see any 12-16 year old car which is completely reliable. As has already been said if you buy one which has been looked after it wont be too bad with things breaking but you never know, i think its down to luck with these cars lol. Its always best to have a couple of hundred quid stashed for when things do go wrong. Miles per gallon, if your bothered dont buy one, their not very good at all. It will quite happily munch a whole tank of optimax in less than 200 miles. Its all worth it though, especially wiping the smug face off someone whos driving a more expensive car like a Porsche boxter s or something :D

P

pulsarboby

there thirsty little buggars and always going wrong, especially when you give it some right footed action, personally i think there crap with a capital c bought mine to race next year on curcuit, only done 2 trackdays spends most of its time off road being repaired!BUT THEY SAY 4X4 ARE FOR OFF ROAD USE and look at all the money im saving on fuel. go and buy one, you know you want too!

Fazz

Buy one. You won't regret it.

Info -

Petrol consumption. I personally don't think its too bad. On motorway miles with a little bit of high speeds I can get 230miles max.
However when driving on this jumps right down. I haven't tried it totally yet but I'm pretty sure I can do a full tank in about 100 miles!!
however this is about 300bhp and going the 100miles in about an hour or less.

I say not bad cause I've driven normally aspirated 1.8-1.9's and barely get the 240miles...

Repairs - saem as other cars - buy a shìtter and your screwed. Buy a decent one and you're grand. I looked at at least 12 R's before buying. And I drove some lemons in between. gearbox reportedly weak but actually not that bad if a decent looked after one. Organic clutch helps this. The SR20's are legendary and R's hold the best of the lot. Has to be looked after and serviced regular of course
Service won't cost too much - only 4 plugs, oil, filter etc.
Will need at least £100 per month for sundries that may arise with any 10+ yr old car - bearings, cv joints etc etc.

Power:

Simply put the best value for power car that can be bought.
Tune to 300bhp and not a lot will touch you, and take off will be second to none.

Advise:

Definately buy one with a few mods at least. IF you are going to tune it ( which it sounds like) then better to buy already done. That way you save pounds on parts, and probably anything major that will go wrong has done.
Buy one with a receipted rebuild for best value imo...

Good luck. Definately get in at least 4 R's to see what I mean when I say there are a fair few differences when looked after or not.

gtirx2

Was that me in ashford j911 wh?I used to get round there and seen a few starlets about or was it the R with the blue rims?

faz

gtirx2 said:
Was that me in ashford j911 wh?I used to get round there and seen a few starlets about or was it the R with the blue rims?
At the risk of sounding like Rob....

you mongtard!

geetee

Well firmly touching wood. Running about 300 bhp @ just over a bar.

500 miles a week mixed brain out fast country roads and motorways.

Nothing but normal costs and the expected uprated clutch and fuel pump.

4 years in. Slightly down on compression on one cylinder. Could probably do with changing the cam chain and whilst the motor's out I'll probably do a minor rebuild, new pistions / usual bearings and stuff. But really nothing I wouldn't expect on any other motor with this many miles.

Oh and the turbo's got a bit whiney recently and has some play so that'll be off for a rebuild.

But tbh, doing the sums including depreciation it's far cheaper and a lot more fun than a new car.

There are some real dogs about, so take someone along who knows what to look out for. You may still get bitten in the **** though.

Cheers
Graham

gtirx2

Oh the ex vpulsar if i remember right? A man that speaks his mind and don't care who he upsets:twisted: I don't know if thats a bad thing or not;-)