high rpm? or normal..

jamieddd

after starting my car and it getting slightly warm rpm drops from intially about 1500rpm to 900rpm.

now after booting the car aboutit goes back around 1500rpm

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Check that your dump valve isn't leaking at idle (pinch the boost hose and see if the idle drops immediately).

danr

turn the steering wheel while stationary, does the idle drop to normal?
there's a pressure switch in the PAS lines that if sending low pressure ECU idles up to compensate. Soooo, could be knackered PAS pump, old steering fluid or belt.
Just put this one in in case you do everything said and start tearign hair out!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Get used to it.You'll be chasing your tail forever trying to fix it!
...and when you do fix it, you probably won't even know what the solution actually was. :doh:

I'd suggest it's worth having a look at a couple of things, but it's not worth losing any sleep over.

Fusion Ed

Probably normal. The ecu holds high idle for a few seconds before dropping down to prevent stalling etc, some cars this is higher than others.

jamieddd

i mean i know there is a few hoses going somewhere to the actuator and ebc etc but i dont know exactly whats what...would like to know how all these hoses work and where they go:lol:

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
This is purely on the basis that I had a Bailey single-piston valve in mine, and it would often give high idle... and then sometimes normal. - That doesn't mean it's your problem; it's just one more thing to eliminate.

I mean the smaller vacuum/boost line going to the dump valve (not the big one it's probably connected to the plenum by). Just squish it with some pliers then rev the car a bit (as if you've been drving). - Because the vacuum on mine was pulling the valve open at idle, it was letting air in (thus the idle speed went up); as soon as I pinched the line, the revs dropped.
After that, I replaced it with an HKS SQV (the old one that looks like a spaceship) and haven't had any more problems with the idle going up and down like that.

Taking the idle screw out and spraying throttle body cleaner inside also helped bring the base idle speed down.