high temp

the chief

hi, ive just fitted a alloy rad but now the oil temp is going over 110! even tho im sitting in jams. the cars been off the road for 4 mouth and with the standard rad the oil would only go up to 95 max. yes its been bled. could it be the thermostat?
cheers

Last edited:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Make sure you've bled the water system properly. You might have air in it, which is causing the engine to get hot and therfore the oil.

Standard oil cooler is cooled by engine coolant.

When filling, set heater control to max hot, remove bleed screw on the thermostat housing until water runs out, then replace the bleed screw and fill up the radiator. Now you need to modify the rad cap by putting a piece of wire or similar between the rubber and the metal centre bit.(it lets the air bleed out into the overflow tank) Fit it to the radiator. Start the engine warm it up and run it a 2500rpm for 10secs, turn off, fill up the radiator. Repeat 3 times.
Remove wire from rad cap and refit it as standard item. Run engine at 4000rpm and move heater control to a few positions between hot and cold , then check level again. (rad will be pressurised this time, so let it cool down or cover the rad cap well)

the chief

the water gauge reads normal untill the oil gets up to 100 then it starts going up. i just stop driving after that. also the fans are always on.im thinking the
thermostat aint opening?

the chief

yes. and before i put it on i checked to make shore the water flowed thro ok. also the bottom rad hose is as hot as the top and after ive driven it the hoses are rock solid. yes everthing was ok before i fitted the rad. i fitted a norris intercooler thats why i used the alloy rad (becuse the standard rad wont fit)

P

pulsarboby

is the top and bottom hoses both hot when engine has reached running temp?
if not then it could be stat causing problem! could also be head gasket blowing from cylinder to waterway if top and bottom hoses are pressurised!
the only reason oil temp will rise will be due to high water temp not cooling engine enough to cool oil sufficiently.

youngsyp

First thing I'd try is changing the thermostat. It's cheap and easy to do. Whilst doing this, you could back flush the system to try and remove any deposits that may have formed. How regularly was the coolant changed before this ?

It sounds as though theres no cooled coolant getting to the oil cooler ?! You could try removing the hoses to the oil cooler and attaching a hose to see if water flows through it.

Having said all that, it is strange that the cooling fans are on all the time. That would suggest that the rest of the system is overheating ?!

The water hoses should be 'hard' as, it's a pressurised system.

Have you checked for 'mayonaise' around the oil filler cap/ in the coolant ?

the chief

hi again ive put the standard top mount and rad back on and everythings back to normal. i guess the fans that i got with the ally rad are crap.