hks gt-ss turbo upgrade

T

tez2284

does anyone know if these turbos are any good? im thinking of uprating my standard r turbo and dont really know what to get for around the grand mark, does anyone know what power gains i can get with the gt-22 and what other parts id need to fit? i allready have a hks forged piston set, hks camshaft, arc frount mounted intercooler, aem engine management controller and hks 2mm head gasket, I am also thinking of getting a ignition amplifier and have my eye on the hks twin power ignition amplifier kit but again dont know if it would be worth getting or not. i have tried to get parts that will protect my engine from the extra wear a tear that comes from extra power before iv uped the power so if anyone else knows of anything else i can get to attain this that would help. :thumbsup:

Trip

If you plan to get more power, I suggest you upgrade the fuel pump and get larger injectors too. Turbo choice is always depend on how you are planning to use car and what bhp figures you are after.

T

tez2284

yeh this is my problem i want more power but i still want reliability so dont wanna go ott and spend more time repairing it than driving it so dont really know whats safe to do as yet

T

tez2284

i have read that 280bhp is a safe power to go up to but as i have forged piston's and a 2mm head gasket plus i want to do more to strengthen the engine as i really want a reliable car as well as more hp

Trip

A completely standard engine can safely cope with around 320bhp(as long as the tune is right). some even went past that mark closer to the 400bhp but didn't last very long. The most common faluire being the pistons. The fact you have forged pistons, 2mm headgasket and a good standalone EMS, you only need supporting mods to get the car safely in the 350bhp+.

youngsyp

The key to reliabilty, is heat management and decent mapping.

If I were to take my car any further (it's circa 318 bhp/ 293 lb's/ft torque currently), I'd go for an oil cooler and more efficient radiator, as well as lagging the manifold, turbo elbow and down pipe. This will not only aid reliability but, add a bit more power and torque too, as well as drivability.
I'd also get my ecu remapped to cater for the mods I've done elsewhere. You can get the stock ecu remapped for a very reasonable £350.
If you have a good base car, with the usual exhaust, filter and boost increase, along with the remap, you should see 330-335 bhp without the turbo change, maybe even more.

If you'd say what sort of power you're looking for, that might help too.

O

Odin

Trip said:
some even went past that mark closer to the 400bhp but didn't last very long.

Mine lasted for over 2 years running 399.7 bhp so I wouldn't say it didn't last long, But I reckon 350 bhp is doable with the right ignition and fueling, And should last a long time hopefully. But every engine is different and it depends on how it's been treated over the years.

I would say the best turbo choice for a standard engine is the GT28RS aka the Disco potato which take you to 350-360 bhp, With very little lag, If you plan to rebuild the engine at a later date to take more boost then the GT3071R would be a good choice and could take you to around 450 bhp.

As Paul says the secret to any engine's longevity is efficient cooling, So a bigger rad and at least a 16 row oil cooler should be fitted.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tez2284

another turbo question "and i stand a good chance of looking a div now" if i was to get the engine sorted to handle the power would getting two standard turbos providing air for 250ish bhp each work better than one turb providing air for 500bhp? i mean would they lag less as they are smaller?

O

Odin

tez2284 said:
another turbo question "and i stand a good chance of looking a div now" if i was to get the engine sorted to handle the power would getting two standard turbos providing air for 250ish bhp each work better than one turbo providing air for 500bhp? i mean would they lag less as they are smaller?

I don't think a 2.0Lt four pot engine is really suited to a twin turbo set up, I've fitted a GT3076R which is good for around 480-500 bhp and wont be to laggy hopefully.

Don't forget if you build a 500 bhp engine then you also need to build a 500 bhp transmission and cooling system plus brakes and clutch to match, You are talking a hell of a lot of money......

Rob

Trip

and complexity. Rememeber the more complex the setup is, the more things can go wrong. Remember Murphy's law

T

tez2284

Trip said:
and complexity. Rememeber the more complex the setup is, the more things can go wrong. Remember Murphy's law
yep anything that can go wrong and all that, bit like sods law lol
this is why im doing most things myself on the car as il learn more as i go along that way and im ok as a general mechanic.

im not sure what to do at the mo but im thinking of having two r's, one close to standared maybe no mods at all and one just for racing events like hill climbs time attacks ect...

as for the money side thats a prob at the mo but fingers crossed wen i start up my own business at the middle of next year il have that side sorted but then il allso have more time to work on the car to.

having two would also eliminate the need for it to be as reliable but i will obviosly still wanna retain it as an engine rebuild every month would take the pizzle