How long should an uprated clutch last?

Gray

I know this is down to driving style etc but how long on average would you say they should last? As they are expensive things to buy and fit!

O

Odin

My old nismo paddle clutch lasted 36000 miles of very hard use 8) :wink: .

I'v now got a 6 paddle spec clutch, I'v no idea on this one though as I'v only done a couple of 1000 miles :wink: , It's all good so far though 8) .

rob

Dooie Pop Pop

Gray said:
Dooie Pop Pop said:
how long is a piece of string?
twice the distance from the middle!

fair enough, gonna get a helix organic clutch these any good?
touche :lol:

the helix has a good long standing rep with the vast majority of its users from what i can tell :wink:

A

Adamski

The RPS Clutches have a higher torque rating than the helix, which I didn't know so I'm kicking myself now because I've only had this one in the car since January and now I'm likely to go over the maximum rating for the helix :oops: . No problems at all with it though :wink:(Touch wood) :roll: :lol:

J

justin666

I had a helix organic in for over 3 years and around 20 odd thousand miles :) lasted really well but i was only puttin out about 260ftlb's of torque. Having recently seen my car jump up to a sniff under 300ftlb's of torque the helix gave up and died a smelly death :? :cry: It was old tho so i cant really complain :D

The car is currently in the process of having and RPS clutch fitted so with its higher rating i will see how it feels and how long it last as of this sat when i get it back :D

J...

S

Stoned

The Helix is rated to 308lbs torque?

What is this other RPS clutch people are talking about and where do you get it?

I'm putting out 300lbs torque so I want something that wont break in a few months,

J

justin666

I thought the helix organic was only rated to about 280 pounds of torque..?? The paddle may hold above that but not sure :?

The RPS MAX Street is the one i have gone for. Organic plate kit and rated to over 400ftlb's due to the monster pressure plate :D Got it for 300 notes from SRB. I expect the pedal will feel a fair bit heavier than how it did with the helix but it still should be nice and drivable as its not a paddle system. We will see on Sat :D

J..

ashills

i ran a helix with 330+ft of torque no problems alot of it is down to driving style if u launch and it starts to slip just back off dont keep the power on and totally kill it
mine took 35-40 runs at santa pod and avon with only a few slips but i always let it cool down and it was fine

Dooie Pop Pop

iv got an rps, i got it a tad hot and launched it at 6000+rpm :shock: :lol: it slipped like buggery :lol: and im putting out 100ft lb less than what its rated at :lol: it more down to driving style and mechanical sympathy as Allen says

Mark_GTiR

I'm running an RPS street max which has been top notch so far.

It's been in for about 6 months with no probs. Only down side for me and my weedy legs is the pedal is fairly heavy!!

Mark

J

justin666

Yea :D got me car back :D

The RPS feels completely different to the old helix jobbie. Pedal does indeed feel slightly heavier than before but its not that bad and after driving around for a short while i kinda got used to it. Infact, i prefer the pedal feel on the RPS compared to the helix.! Still easy as ya like to drive when takin it easy and in traffic but REALLY grips on the launches and when havin a little fun. :D

All in all, very impressed with it. Will see how it goes over the next few months.

J..

Gray

mines gettin a helix put in at hiteq at the mo shoud have it back thursday night will tell you how it feels

new clutch fork, pivot and bearing too cos they went bang lol