How much IGN deg for High power cars?

Thor

Hi,

how much deg i must set the IGN on the crank? Someone wrote 15deg BTDC and other think 20deg BTDC .. Which is correct? My tubby comes too late and i think the IGN setting could make them laggy...

regards
Sascha

red reading

Speak to fusion edd ,but i'm sure the standard car's base timing is 18-20btdc,but when the car's are mapped using the nistune the base timing is set at 10btdc

stumo

You can set the base timing to whatever you want, you just have to make sure that the map is referenced off that setting.....

If the map was setup with a base at 20 deg then set it to 20 deg....

if the base was 10deg then set it to 10 deg...

If you need to change the timing for any reason you're best changing the map rather than changing the base as that will change the whole map and that means that the whole map will be wrong!!!

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
As Stu says, you set your base time in the ECU to match the crank timing.

20 degrees for idle is what I prefer nowadays. after that its all down to the map.

P

pulsarboby

if you have advance on your timing gun then set the vacuum advance to 20 degrees then use 2nd mark from left which is tdc

if its a cheap timing gun then count 6 segments on crank pulley from the furthest left mark, that will give you the 20 degrees your after. the notches / segments are 5 degree intervals

Thor

thanks for help :-D ! can anybody still tell me which gap the Denso IK31 must have when i fit they? I have fit the mallory ignition system.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Bin them Sasha, Iridium plugs don't seem to last. I've been on on and off them but I wouldn't stick them in any car now. Fit some copper plugs and gap them to 0.9mm with you Mallory system as a starting point. They worked for me at 1.9Bar.

Last edited:

Fusion Ed

I use various base timings depending on the power of the car. This is ***ONLY*** done with the gtir's as they have a distributor, which are inherently unreliable on high power cars, and I find other settings more reliable at high power. This cannot just be adjusted too if the whole map has not been compensated (to be honest I still don't like to do this but sometimes it seems the only option, and for me it does work.

Unless your car has been tuned by me and I have told you otherwise, assume its running stock timing at 20 deg, and set it to that.