How much will my std clutch take???

K

KrissJ

I really want to up the boost but just have a std clutch and don't want it to go pop! I thought I'd be safest leavin it til I can afford a clutch as well but was wonderin if I can increase the boost to a level where it feels a lot quicker but wont danmage the clutch. I did afew launch starts when I got it to see what it was like but never do them now so its just fast rollin starts and through the gears that I'm after.

Any advice?

Also, if I up the boost do I NEED a better fuel pump cas I have a power boost valve fitted so can up the fuel pressure to feed more in (when I got it the pressure was so high it weas actually drippin out the exhaust, hence my 11mpg performance at the time :shock: ).

Cheers :D

J

J-GTi-R

The standard clutch can take 1 bar, but it's life will be shortened obviously. It depends on the current state of it, really.

As for the fuel pump, unless you set the car up on a rolling road you'll never know if it's truely safe. Plenty of people have in the past run 1 bar with a stock pump, but it is now generally recommended to upgrade it just for piece of mind.

K

KrissJ

shorten the life by how much though? it should be in fairly good nick as I still have to push the pedal right down to change gear & its only ever slipped a little bit 1ce and thats cos I did a silly start in the dry :shock:

How much are you talkin to get it set up properly? (I'll probably use a dawes device and better fuel pump). I aint got much money at the mo but that should change later in the year. I just want some more speed! 8)

J

J-GTi-R

Again it depends on the current condition. If it feels strong still, you might get another 5-10k miles out of it on 1 bar (it has happened), but I'd budget for an uprated one in the meantime. If you do the Dawes thing at least when it starts slipping you can turn the boost back down and get a few more miles out of it.

I think Powerstation charge about £80 plus vat for a RR session. A mate had a Walbro fuel pump fitted (he supplied it though) and a RR session after to set it up for 1 bar (he already had a bleed valve) and that was about £130 all up, which isn't too bad for piece of mind.

A

Anonymous

cant see your standard clutch lasting long at 1 bar if your a new owner
lol :lol: :lol:

A

AJ4

I had a new standard clutch ( 3 months old ) go after just 3 days at 1 Bar ( gutted !! )

I also have a friend who has ran 1.2 - 1.4 bar on a standard clutch for over 1 year with no problems whatsoever... :roll:

JIMMYBACK

i run mine at 1.4 before i knew wot was going on lots of standing starts n stuff.mines fine thou i have just recently adjusted it back to 1 bar to save petrol :D :D :D

K

KrissJ

Hmmm, think I'll wait til I can afford a clutch as well then just to be safe.

I got the R in december so am a fairly new driver but tbh a lot of the time nopw I take it quite easy to save fuel as doin 60miles a day for work soon empties the tank :shock:

Thanks for the advice :D

E

Eric Yellow

I'm driving mine at 1.6-1.7 bar with standard clutch. :mrgreen:
Must say that the clutch has been fitted about 22.000 kms ago, so it's quite fresh, but I still am amazed that it's still holding on strong.
No signs of slipping what so ever !
Not even when taking a standing start at 5000 rpm :shock:

K

KrissJ

blardy ell! :shock: thats impressive.

I'm not sure when my clutch was fitted though so I spose it might be a bit too risky for me to up the boost without doin the clutch as well.

skiddusmarkus

Mine didn't last long at all when i went up to 1bar.I can't remember it slipping at all before but started to afterwards on hills.Best to budget for both jobs at same time I reckon.that way you're not left short when clutch goes.

O

Olly

1.0 bar for three weeks then there wasn't enough clamping pressure to hold her down any longer :lol: