How often should you change gearbox oil?

hmmm

Hi,

How often should the gearbox oil in a GTi-R be changed?

What does the manual say about this? as some other cars have maintainance-free earboxes (such as the Ford Mondeo).

I ask this because if the gearbox oil needs to be changed every year then I will use Silkolene Pro 5 but if the it needs changing every 2-3 years then I may go for Redline MT90. Both oils are good quality but I am leaning towards the Redline due to positive feedback through this forum.

Thanks once again

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The manual says to change it every 36000miles or 12 months.

And to check transaxle every 6months or 9000miles and the others every 12months or 18000miles

Perform on a mileage basis or semi annual basis when driving less than 9000miles per 6 months.

hmmm

Perform on a mileage basis or semi annual basis when driving less than 9000miles per 6 months
what does that exactly mean? (I will be driving less than 9000 miles every six months)

I will probably go for the Redline MT90. How much do I need to buy for the everything? (lsd, gearbox, transfer case...)

thanks again

A

Anonymous

Re: ...

Perform on a mileage basis or semi annual basis when driving less than 9000miles per 6 months
it means,if you do less than 9000miles per year,you have to change the oil twice a year :wink:

hmmm

How much oil is needed for...

the gearbox
transfer case
diffs

can Redline MT 90 be used in all these areas?

A

ard1ey

4.3l in the gearbox
1.5l in the transfer box
1.0l in the rear diff

You can use your MT90 in all of them, but make sure you can undo the filler plugs BEFORE you drain all the oil out :)

I'm sure this is a sticky somewhere.....

A

ard1ey

No problem mate,

Forgot to mention, be careful when you're undoing the plugs. They aren't meant to be done up too tight, but I had big problems with mine - nearly wrecked the square drive in the plug on the gearbox drain.