I broke it

N

Ninj-r

I was tightening up the 3 bolts on top of the suspension mount at the front and one if the ****s snapped off :roll: so now there are only 2 bolts holding on the front n/s suspension. I am fairly sure that this is not good as it now feels a bit like a speedboat when steering.

Can it be fixed :( or do I need to replace all the shocks :D

Any help or recommendations appreciated.

Cheers

O

Odin

What you need fella is a new topmount on that shock :wink: , You could pick up a second hand one pretty cheap I may even have one in the garage myself :wink: :D .

If you have a spring compressor like me it's about a half hour job matey,otherwise you will have to hire/buy them from somewhere or get a spanner monkey to do the work for you. All in all it's a pretty easy fix mate.

rob

O

Odin

What you will need for this job: (a) spring compressor's (b) two times 17mm spanner or sockets (c) 10mm spanner (d) 12mm socket and rachet
(e) axle stands (f) a socket for the big nut on top of the shock it is maybe 22mm but I can't remember .

First job is to loosen the big nut on top of the shock while the car is still on the ground don't undo it all the way leave it about level with the top of the thread, This nut holds the spring in place so is very hard to undo when you have the shock off but can be very dangerous if you take it right off as the spring will fly off AND COULD KILL YOU :shock: :wink: .

Second job is to lift the front of the car up on axle stands and take the wheel off the hub you wont to work on, Then undo the ABS cable and break hose from the back of the shock .ABS cable 2 time 10mm bolt use WD40 first though as you don't want to break them, Break hose has a clip that needs to be pulled out.

Then undo the 2 times 17mm nuts and bolts that hold the strut to the hub these can be very tight and you may need a breaker bar on them first :wink: , once you'ev done this you can undo the 3 times (IN YOUR CASE 2) 12mm bolts that hold the strut to the car you should now be able to pull it down far enough to get the strut assembly(sp) out.

Then you need your spring clamps to clamp down the spring enough to loosen the top mount, Once thats done you can take that now loose big nut off the top remove the old broken top plate and replace with your new one. Then it's just a case of replaceing it all and tightening up :wink: .

takes me about 45 min to do both sides :wink: .

rob

OZ-Racing

vpulsar said:
That's cos your car's already jacked-up a couple of feet at the front :roll: :wink:
I'm sure you have bling-bling chavved up hydraulic bouncy suspension :lol: :lol:

O

Odin

OZ-'R'acing said:
vpulsar said:
That's cos your car's already jacked-up a couple of feet at the front :roll: :wink:
I'm sure you have bling-bling chavved up hydraulic bouncy suspension :lol: :lol:

SHUT IT B1TCH :shock: :wink: .

rob

antgtir

OZ-'R'acing said:
vpulsar said:
I too have this same rally look lol :lol: :lol:

Will be rectified soon enough though :wink: :D

Ant.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Ninj-r said:
I was tightening up the 3 bolts on top of the suspension mount at the front and one of the ****s snapped off :

Any help or recommendations appreciated.

Cheers
Use a torque wrench next time. They're only 18-22lbft which is alot less than you can do by hand when trying.

paz

antgtir said:
OZ-'R'acing said:
vpulsar said:
I too have this same rally look lol :lol: :lol:

Will be rectified soon enough though :wink: :D

Ant.
V's problem is rectified everytime he drives the car :lol: ;)

Paz