I experienced my first clutch slip.....Should I easy back??

M

madcabbie

Hey guys, I have just started messing around a little bit with my recently acquired R . I have just installed an aftermarket GFB atomic boost controller.

Tonight I dcecided to test it a bit , and to show a mate what a little increase in boost is like. He has a Ford XR6 Turbo Falcon (aussie) and I am trying to get him to work his a bit. anyway

I had it set at 15psi,and after maybe 6 or 7 hard goes, 0-100 and 1/4's , I had major clutchslip. Now i know it was running hot, so i just took it easy to cool off. Took car home as we had our fun, one 0-100 on my g-tech showed a 5.29 :lol: :lol: :lol: .

My question is, is this normally for hard driving? I know when I get the cash i should upgrade the clutch, but I am not sure what mine is actually running yet(clutch that is) . DO you guys that have already upgraded your clutchs ever get clutch slip after some hard goes without much time to cool off?

Cheers

Dave

turblio

Yep not uncommon to get a bit of slip if its been spanked a few times just back off the power quickly so that you dont cook it :wink:
Frank

M

madcabbie

Cool. Thanks Frank. I thought i had major wheelspin for a second, then I did a quick change to second with still slippage, so i was straight off the gas and straight into 4th to cool off. Slipped for maybe 2-3 seconds in first and second.

I am not sure what signs I need to lookfor regarding if i need a bigger fuel pump, but at 15psi, I haven't noticed any surging or stuttering to say there maybe something more needed. I am happy whith the power 15psi has given me. Not looking to get into the 12sec 1/4's ... YET..lol

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
madcabbie said:
I am happy with the power 15psi has given me. Not looking to get into the 12sec 1/4's ... YET..lol
You should be in the 12s with 15psi :?

I got abit of slip on my 2nd run (first time out) it was fine by the time I did the 3rd run that day and hasn't slipped since. My clutch is standard. :wink:

M

madcabbie

I didn't try after that first slip fastguy. Thought it would be wiser to cool it down some.

I am sure I can get into the 12's, i just didn't want to push it last night. When I was running standard boost, i recorded a 13.59 with the g-tech, but that took me 8 goes to get the launch just right.

So with a little more practice i think 12's would be attainable. I did do a 13.6 second try after upping the boost. Think i need more practice. Thats all......what a bugger to have to do more, and more... :twisted:

cheers
dave

geetee

Back off til you get the clutch changed, when the standard ones start to slip under boost they tend to wear out completely very very quickly.

As regards the fuelling, you need to get it checked on a rolling road to make sure it is not leaning out at the top end. At 15psi you are running the risk of the tired original pump not supplying enough fuel. Detonation will be the result and the first you will probably know about it is disintegrated / melted plugs and pistons.

Chuck something like the Walbro 255lph in for about £90-100 - worth it if only for the peace of mind.

If you want to run 15psi you probably need to run a one grade colder plug too. Can't remember the codes but there must be thousands of posts on the forums about it.

CHeers
GeeTee 8)

M

madcabbie

Thanks geetee,

Since my finances aren't brillant at the moment, i will set mine back to maybe 12psi, and stop all the hard launchs till I get some money togeather to replace the fuel pump and upgrade my clutch.

How long does it normally take a mechanic to replace the clutch? I have seen some forsale here in Australia for $750. I am not planning to do any track work so I don't need a racing clutch.

Cheers

Dave

R

r5ben

when my clutch started to slip my car only lasted one more week b4 it could not be driven it was that bad :oops: id not saved any money or anythin i was gutted :cry: but a new ap clutch and fedenza flywheel later shes back to her old self :wink:

geetee

Most places seem to take a whole day to change the clutch, it's an engine out job.

Common choice seems to be the Helix Organic here. Although I've just bought an RPS Street Max which is alledgedly higher torque rated.

It's not fitted yet so I can't comment, but it looks well made.

CHeers
GeeTee 8)

J

JamesB

Be carefull running that boost without the upgraded pump. I cranked mine up to 14-15ish and it went like hell for a couple weeks. Lately it started detonating, coughing etc and ive since dropped it down to standard boost. Even now as standard, I cant give it full throttle :roll: - the pumps had its day. Im fitting a bosch external pump plus surge tank so i can run bugger all fuel when hillclimbing. Dont risk it!

M

madcabbie

Drove it first time since it slipped, and clutch still feels as good as ever, but no game to do any hard launchs just yet. :oops:

Turned the boost down to 13psi, and still runs sweet as, but think i will set it to about 12psi till i get some cash togeather to replace the fuel pump and clutch. Got new leads on the way, and plugs aswell.

Guess this is just a one foot at a time thing with these cars......lol :roll:

Hope mine doesn't fall apart in one weeks like yours did r5ben.

cheers guys

dave

M

MarkMc

Ya don’t even have to be doing hard launches. The standard clutch slips when your in gear :? too with mild mods. This is what happened to mine with 1 to 1.2 bar. Once it started slipping it always :wink: seemed to be slipping.
When I got the clutch replaced the mechanic told me it took him something like 16 hours :shock: :?: and that he would never replace one in Gtir again. If ya gonna get ya clutch done maybe ask them if they have replaced one on a gtir before :wink: .That way you know they will give you accurate quote and they know whats involved.
Also if ya gona replace ya clutch try and get one that will handle the power that the car may have in the future :wink: or you will replace it several(on my 4th) times like I have. Also I had standard fuel pump too( with uni chip thou). Note I’m not saying replace ya clutch just things that caught me out.

Cheers

Mark

M

MarkMc

Ya don’t even have to be doing hard launches. The standard clutch slips when your in gear :? too with mild mods. This is what happened to mine with 1 to 1.2 bar. Once it started slipping it always :wink: seemed to be slipping.
When I got the clutch replaced the mechanic told me it took him something like 16 hours :shock: :?: and that he would never replace one in Gtir again. If ya gonna get ya clutch done maybe ask them if they have replaced one on a gtir before :wink: .That way you know they will give you accurate quote and they know whats involved.
Also if ya gona replace ya clutch try and get one that will handle the power that the car may have in the future :wink: or you will replace it several(on my 4th) times like I have. Also I had standard fuel pump too( with uni chip thou). Note I’m not saying replace ya clutch just things that caught me out.

Cheers

Mark

M

madcabbie

Hey thanks Mark.

Hope you found someone who did it in under 16 hours the second time on.

How much do they normally charge to do the job? I took mine for a good drive tonight and it went fine.

Also, what part normally needs replacing? The reason I ask is that I have a 12month warrenty which covers slave and master cylinder, but not clutch or pressure plates.

Cheers

Dave

geetee

The clutch slips because the standard clutch springs are not strong enough to hold the pressure plate against the flywheel with the extra torque produced when the engine is modded. The clutch slip then burns out the friction material on the clutch plate.

It is not a fault.

You just need a clutch with a higher clamping pressure e.g. the Helix Organic / AP Organic / RPS Street Max etc.

Cheers
GeeTee
8)