identify turbo

turbodaily

anybody know where abouts the serial no. usually is on the gt turbo's? is it a plack or just punched in somewhere? guessing thats the only way to identify exactly what model my turbo is, gt28rs or a gt2871..?

exactly same as below with 4" inlet

turbodaily

seems to hit full boost around 3700rpm. its major sarcasm's old turbo, he seemed to think it was a gt28rs but im not 100% convinced. mainly due to spool up time, thought a 28rs wouldnt be as laggy as 3.7k rpm?

ashills

probably a 2871 it was ordered from jgy by the owner before major as far as i remember as i bought loads of bits off them same time as him a few years back now

cmng

Possible to measure the compressor wheel size from the housing ?
from there you roughly know the turbo size and spec

Braveheart

turbodaily said:
anybody know where abouts the serial no. usually is on the gt turbo's? is it a plack or just punched in somewhere? guessing thats the only way to identify exactly what model my turbo is, gt28rs or a gt2871..?

exactly same as below with 4" inlet
I have a GT2871r and the serial number is on a small plate between compressor housing and turbine. Think the compressor housing can vary depending on what you order.
Some turbo suppliers fit the OE Pulsar compressor housing for the GTiR...
The P/N on my 2871r is 743347-0002

turbodaily

i had a look earlier and couldnt see any plack, unless its on the backside where i cant see it.. mine is the same as the one above ie. not original style comp housing.

Braveheart

With my turbo fitted, I can't see the plack as it's on the back side facing the engine block between oil and water feed.

turbodaily

comp wheel sizes

GT28RS/GT2860R
GT28RS

1.86"/47.2mm inducer
2.37"/60mm exducer
62 wheel trim

gt2871

1.94"/49.2mm? inducer
2.79"/71mm? exducer
48 wheel trim

Last edited: