Idling problem

B

Batch21

Hi all,

I've got an idling problem with a GTi-r block. It's been transplanted into another car and it wont idle steadily, it revs from 1100rpm to 1900rpm continuously. Up and down, up and down.

I know not all of the usual bits and pieces aren't connected up to it as it's a transplant but is there anything i should look for to start with?

MAF etc?

B

Batch21

Not enough info or has no-one ever had an idling problem with their R's? :D

P

pulsarboby

it is hunting (revs going up -down) which will indicate an air leak somewhere or its an air leak! lol

B

Batch21

:D

I presume the leak will be in the turbo piping?

i don't have the rocker breathers covered over, would this cause it?

P

pulsarboby

possibly any air leak in the induction system, that is after the afm will cause hunting!
check evey pipe outlet from manifold and make sure there all blanked if not being used

B

Batch21

I don't have an air-filter on it currently, would that cause the problem..due to MAF?

It's not quite on the road yet so haven't needed one!

Afm? not up with the jargon yet, first turbo you see :)

B

Batch21

Ah yes, could be any one of those lol

I know the re-circ valve is not 're-circing' so that could be it, the engine is fairly old so the butterflies could be worn, there's no filter, could be mis-adjusted on any of the screws, the accelerator cable is fabricated so it could be that (although this surely would keep it constant?) vaccum pipes etc etc.

Oh well, let the hunt begin. :D