im high off petrol!

S

S.J

excuse any typing errors, i've just been driving my car for 20 minutes haha

i've got a strong smell of petrol in the cab, and it seems to be worse when i give it a bit of welly, i've had it up on the lift and checked all the fuel lines are still connected or worn, all seems fine, i've filled the tank an left it in the garage for the night, no leaks or loss of fuel, yet it propper stinks when i boot it,

is this going to be the malarky of running to rich or lean or something? not to clued up on this.

the car doesn't seem to stink that i've noticed whilst driving normaly, but the instant i put my foot down, the smell is their.

hitting a pedestrian because i was high of petrol fumes, try tellin that to the judge

edit, also may i add that the car is using alot of fuel ... ALOT! .. it cost me 10 quid to go 9 miles the other day, that was not booting it niether, that wiped the smile of my face almost instantly.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Odin

S.J said:
excuse any typing errors, i've just been driving my car for 20 minutes haha

i've got a strong smell of petrol in the cab, and it seems to be worse when i give it a bit of welly, i've had it up on the lift and checked all the fuel lines are still connected or worn, all seems fine, i've filled the tank an left it in the garage for the night, no leaks or loss of fuel, yet it propper stinks when i boot it,

is this going to be the malarky of running to rich or lean or something? not to clued up on this.

the car doesn't seem to stink that i've noticed whilst driving normaly, but the instant i put my foot down, the smell is their.

hitting a pedestrian because i was high of petrol fumes, try tellin that to the judge

edit, also may i add that the car is using alot of fuel ... ALOT! .. it cost me 10 quid to go 9 miles the other day, that was not booting it niether, that wiped the smile of my face almost instantly.

It could be one of the injectors that has sprung a leak, One of my old standard injector starting leaking out of the top , It wasn't a seal or anything it was just that the injector had given up the ghost, The fuel was coming out of the plastic to metal joint :cry: .

It maybe that it is just under the higher loads that it is p1ssing out, That where I'd look to start off with, If it is I have a set of spare injectors sitting in the garage ;-) .....

Rob

O

Odin

It could also just be an injector seal.......

But start looking their I'd say, just pull on the throttle cable to rev it up and see whats going on with them....

Rob

mclew1231

if you have a quick fill petrol cap. the seal could be f***ed. so when you put your foot down it pours out......

paz

Maybe even a leak from the exhaust, I had a strong fuel smell inside my car when my old exhaust was leaking!

Paz

O

Odin

It could also be any of the rubber section's of the fuel lines, If it's using loads of petrol then it must be some kind of leak....

You need to check everything.

fuel lines.
fuel filter.
injectors.
fuel rail.
fuel regulator.

Rob

S

S.J

i've tried the injector seals, it wasn't them :(

i'll try the rest now, thanks thundergod, i'll get back with, hopefully, results!

Paz, this could also be a strong possibility, my exhaust is like a cheese grate at the moment! i'll look into that too

cheers men

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
S.J said:

That's either a very big external leak, which should be very easy to find. Fuel lines (under the car) on the front of the petrol tank are favourite on my car. or it's something like a faulty maf and the car is using the fuel internally.