im retarded!! UPDATE

Dooie Pop Pop

well i almost literally dumped at full boost myself today watching my car on the rollers :oops: was hopin for a nice clean run but i wasn' t that lucky :( ian the guy that ran the car said 'its holding back and running a bit rich' he reckons that the timings set too far back and it needs advancing :? i told him about my msd coil and the gap im running and he reckoned it got nothing to do with it, its a timing issue. ian used afr equipment and det cans, other than the richness he said it was fine :D

cars fine mechanically (phew!) sounded a lot better than some of the cars i heard at pts...coughcoughjimmycough :wink: :lol: no tapping, knocking, rattles or smoke 8)

ignition problems can/will be sorted when alan (ashills) gives my car a few pokes maybe end of feb/early march but i would like to sort it sooner rather than later if at all possible so i can compare the pipes before the spec changes. i hope you can all understand me when i say that i find the idea of matties shittbox being quicker than mine rather upsetting :cry:

so is there anything else it could be? heres the dyno, looks more like a hilly outcrop :( the run was at about .93bar

JIMMYBACK

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: nuffing wrong wiv mine :shock: just a fuel pump n a tune woundlt fix :D mine makes 253 ft and 293 bhp at one bar :D wiv the problems i have

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Can you feel it holding back on the road?

It might just need the fuelling and timing tweaked, based on what he said.
Ussuming your msd is providing enough power for your plug gap :wink:

MarkTurbo

Re: HEEELP im retarded!!??

Dooie Pop Pop said:
ian the guy that ran the car said 'its holding back and running a bit rich' he reckons that the timings set too far back and it needs advancing :?
Why didnt you try advancing it then :?:

I'd rather have 260 bhp at just under a bar than the 293 bhp at 1.4 bar jimmys s**tter was putting out :wink: :lol:

mattygti-r

yeah jimmy your car sucks :lol: :p

seriously thou stus car dont feel thou its holding back on the road under boost :?

Dooie Pop Pop

Fast Guy said:
Can you feel it holding back on the road?

It might just need the fuelling and timing tweaked, based on what he said.
Ussuming your msd is providing enough power for your plug gap :wink:
only ignition parts that aint been changed previously are the ignition amplifier and the alternator. will try knocking the gap down tomorrow :wink:

MarkTurbo said:
Why didnt you try advancing it then :?:

I'd rather have 260 bhp at just under a bar than the 293 bhp at 1.4 bar jimmys s**tter was putting out :wink: :lol:
he wouldn' t :( because it was only a power run. suggested a 'tuning session' instead :roll:

iv never used a timing gun before tbh Mark :oops:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member

Dooie Pop Pop said:
I've never used a timing gun before tbh Mark :oops:
If you do adjust the timing, put some match marks on the dizzy and it's mounting so you can go back to your origional settings if you want. :wink:

Dooie Pop Pop

turblio said:
Just follow my guide in the how to and you will be fine :wink:
:oops: thanks frank :wink:

update: stripped the maf sensor and discovered that one of the filiments had muck on one side of it so iv cleaned that off with spay-on contact cleaner, after bout 20 squirts it still hadn' t come off and i had to VERY VERY GENTLY wipe it with a solvent soak cotton bud.
did not like doing it tbh because its so fragile and its not something id recommend doing if you' ve got the dt' s :wink:

update: re-earthed the maf today, removed the lamba to clean it and dicovered the thread on the elbow was knackered and the probe was only done up half way :x so i took the boss out of my spare elbow (eventually, no vice) and swapped em over so thats aok :D

timing: have still got half a tank with injector cleaner in it so i cant advance the timing till iv got some fresh 98 ron optimax in :wink: but i thought id check it anyway and found that going by the six marks (-5, 0, +5, +10, +15 and +20) on first startup it sat on 15 degree' s of advance for a bit and then on tickover it dropped to about +12 or +13 :shock: :? :shock: it wouldn' t sit still for too long but thats where it stayed when it did settled.

...can the ecu retard the ignition because of the lower octane value of the fuel ? not as much as -5 degrees, i mean a little bit :? obviously it needs adjusting manually which i' ll do asap.

cheers for the help :wink: stu

turblio

Stew
it does sound like timing make certain that the engine is well warm as from start up it runs 5 degrees advance untill hot so that can bugger up your
checks unless you know

Dooie Pop Pop

am totally confused now (which dont take much) followed the how too and found that with the tps disconnected timings at +18 degrees :shock: iv gapped the plugs at .7mm and its making no difference at all the cars still holding back and doesant feel any better. the leads ect are newish.

did find the serial number the fpr that mr nissan gave me dont exactly match the old one. the first five are the same 00058 iirc but the others arn' t :? could the have given me the wrong fpr? that would explain why im running rich at least.

the old one reads A44-000C58 3908E
the new one reads A44-000C58 4310A is this wrong??

is the there anything else that could making it hold back? i need to get an ignition amplifier to try