Im stuck

Spikey

been doing the clutch and all good but now putting it back together i cant seem to get the transfer case on to the gearbox. i have a 10mm gap and it wont pull together... The Diff is still on as i did not see any point in taking it off. Could this be the issue? if so and why?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Try giving the input shaft a bit of a turn to line the splines up?

It could be that you still have the prop shaft on; that might cause the internals of the transfer case to move whilst you've been working.

Spikey

all shafts are out. I been trying to turn the shaft. but if you try using a bolt then it locks up and i cant rotate it anymore. Should i try removing the diff or should that not make any difference?

pschurr

If the gbox and the transfer case are both out of the car, then put the gbox into any gear, grab the shaft in the bellhousing turn it a little and then see if you can close the gbox and transfer case up together. This is just about getting the splines of the 'connecting shaft' between centre diff and transfer case. It's the hollow tube that connects the two assemblies.

If the transfer case is still bolted to the back of the engine, and you're trying to attached the gbox to the engine/transfer-case, then you obviously can't get your hand into the bellhousing to turn the input shaft of the gbox.
In this case, you need to be able to turn the rear drive-shaft (if the rear wheels are off the ground), or unbolt the driveshaft from the transfer case and rotate the flange on the back of the transfer case. This should get the splines lined up.

peter