Importing an R

C

Chase

I got my R from GDA cars in chattham in kent. They had about six GTIR's and i picked the bestof the bunch after many days searching all over kent. Didn't get much history and also wondered how had is it for dealers to import these jap cars? What tests and inspections are carried out. I know mine was set back to mph and de-restricted. can they fiddle the mileage as mine was quite low. didgts were quite even but then the km's had to be convereted back to miles so it's expected.

C

Chase

Yeah thats why I went for the one i'v got. I just got loadsa jap paper work, means naff all to me. Any way of telling if the clutch has been uprated? Defo don't think it's standard

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Unless you can compare the feel with a known standard one, then not realy (I don't think) without physically seeing it.

Loads of Jap paperwork is fairly rare.

Ricky_GTi-R

gtir bean said:
turn the boost up and see if it holds:lol:
Haha the perfect idea, this is also a good way to find out if any of the engine internals or fuelling system has been uprated at the same time:lol: :lol: ;-)

C

Chase

dunno how to turn up the boost, don't i need to get a boost controller? my mates got a standard clutch and it feels abit harder, other than that i don't know. There was i few holes drilled into my R where past jap components have been so it may have been uprated abit?

Fire & skill

Vintage member
have a look at the ecu - takes 10 mins to take out, get the cover off it as well, check the harness and if you can see any nicks in the cabling then theres been a few piggybacks on it. its prob had a boost controller fitted and turbo timer. a lot of this stuff is removed in Japan before export.

G

GTIRocks

milage means nothing, like everyone said. the checks they go through arnt so strict if there older than 10 yrs old at import i dont think they require an esva? but im sure someone will correct me if im wrong (possibly a fat kid in a yellow t shirt) i dont even think its a legal requirement to convert to mph ?? its a bit like buying a classic car you gotta know what to look for accident damage ect and as for jap history well they could be some old gas bills for all you know or maybe his results from the clap clinic! i know some one who speaks japanese if you wanna know what they are (well i assume she knows japanese as she was born there and lived there for about 20 years ?)