It Smokes...

G

GTI-R

Dudes,

I fitted a Cusco Catch Tank yesterday, replacing my Forge item - mainly to free up space near my airbox.

Since then, and while out on a flame popping mission, the car occasionally smoked after gear changes.

I only noticed this each time the car popped a flame and assumed it was all the carbon deposits in the tailpipe. Only thing that was strange was a blue tinge to the smoke.

The 'R did it this morning when coming to work, only once I had changed gear. Could this just be the car getting used to the new Cusco item and a bit of old that may have moved while installing it?

Or is my turbo now dying a death after its 1.8bar mission :twisted:

Seems too much like coincidence to me and more related to the Cusco installation - thoughts?

paz

Could be something to do with the cusco item, but it sounds to me like the turbo is on its way out :( Particularly as its happening after a gear change.

I'd go and get it checked out, but it might be worth starting an auction on ebay selling either a limb or a family member.

paz

G

GTI-R

Sounds interesting, that means I'll have to broken turbos :(

I still have my broken hybrid item which I will have to get repaired, when you say get it checked.

Am I just checking for play on the turbine, or something else?

turblio

Compression test/leak down test as that is just how mine started its death
mission, and my mates his went the same way :cry: but do check turbo first you may be lucky (well sort of!) sorry to sound so non optimistic...
Frank
ps I ran 1.8bar just before the ring lands went

G

GTI-R

I suppose I could reasonably expect my engine to let you as it has done about 50K on the ND350, which I think ain't too bad...

Bring on the engine damage, just when I really can't afford it :lol:

paz

Thinking about it though it could just be the turbo oil seals giving up a bit. A friend of mine ran 1 bar on the standard tubby for three years, and it started to smoke very slightly. When he returned it to normal boost the smoking stopped - try that, and if it is the case you could hold off on the damage to your wallet for a while (while you save up :lol: lol) by running 0.7 bar ;)

paz

T

Toady

my R was smoking on boost, i assumed it was the engine but did a comp test and all seems fine, so assumed it was the turbo.nehoo i turned the boost up to 0.9bar, it didnt seem to smoke so much on boost but after a while it started smoking badly when on overrun and changing gears. so i guess it is my turbo! :wink:

G

GTI-R

Thanks for the replies...

Just drove it and it only smokes a few seconds after the gear change and only when decelerating in the gear.

Seems strange though, no smoke at all before the Cusco installation but smoke within 2 minutes with. Really seems to close together...

turblio

Well that describes how mine was exactly checked the various pipes for oil
and there was very little...
Frank

M

memski

I think it's the turbo :?

P.s have beaten your 1.8bar max boost for definate yesterday, this time the turbo can handle the boost, on a standard engine though :shock:

turblio

P.s have beaten your 1.8bar max boost for definate yesterday, this time the turbo can handle the boost, on a standard engine though

Memski you make me grin mate :lol: :lol:
just listen for the bang clatter noise....
Frank

M

memski

Wasn't done on purpose Frank :( For the first time ever I expected a problem, seems ok though. Oil temp and pressure fine, egt was fine, knock was 41 max - just a mega boost spike :shock: Still we will see....

G

GTI-R

Don't want to give it the kiss of death but...

Looks like it only smokes when it pops a flame, I cannot see any puffs when the car is running normally on boost.

Strange that it is blue smoke but I will investigate further and post results.

:D

G

GTI-R

:(

Nope it still smokes, just didn't on my drive home :D but did on the way back :roll:

:lol:

G

GTI-R

Don't know if I'm tempting fate but...

This has been a roller coaster ride.

Had the Cusco for a few months and decided to fit it the other day, checked the instruction but no clue as to which pipe went where so looked through the engine gallery. On page 8 - http://forum.gtiroc.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=11359&start=105

I found Moon's R and saw right pipe to rocker and left to air pipe or, as my Forge item, back to the engine.

So copied this and got the story above. Anyway, Dave (pulsar2002) dropped me a PM to tell me his mate had the same problem a while back and the pipes were the wrong way around - once this was correct all was cool...

So yesterday switched the pipes and, touch wood (!), all is cool, couple of small puffs but all seems to be perfect again.

So...WHICH FRICKEN WAY SHOULD THEY GO!

When I say left I am describing it as the bracket being at the back and facing outwards??