I've installed a jet engine

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Finally fitted the 3071 turbo (I believe its the same as Stu's) last night and at 11.30pm, got the oil pressure up and then started the car, idled it for a while, blipped the throttle a few times and all seemed good.

When I switched the car off, the turbo kept going, like with a jet engine when its switched off. My friend and I looked at each other in a WTF fashion. At first I thought it was a mechanical sounding noise but my friend who was round the front said he could hear the induction kit still sucking. By the time I'd got out of the car and walked round the front it was just tailing off!

It basically made a similar noise to a small jet engine when they're switched off and spool down :shock: 8)

The turbo is very low lag as you can blow on it hard and the blades spin so its not impossible that on this turbo its normal?

Also, I've installed a nice 3" plastic pipe ducting with soft bends from my MAF to the bigger turbo (with bigger inlet) so the noise the turbo makes might be louder now than before too but I was chatting to my mate at work this morning and we still looked at each other going WTF.

Tonight I'm checking the oil and water from the turbo as a precaution, I'll drop the car and recheck my levels and repeat starting the car and see if it does it again.

I know turbo's don't "wear in" so is there anything I'm missing or should also check that would cause the turbo (not the engine) to keep going for a good 5s after ignition off.

If this is normal and I'm stuck with the car sounding like a jet engine when you switch it off, mods can you please move this to tuning and upgrades ;-) :lol: 8)

Any ideas?

Jim

kirko

its normal for the turbo to keep spinnning when you turn off mate

mine spins for ages as im walking away its still whirring away

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Thanks David. it makes sense with it being a bigger turbo and having more momentum etc but its good to hear from someone else its normal.

BTW, did the cheque arrive, I've been busy on this so I've not really paid much attention.

Jim

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Thanks gents for all the feedback in the other post too, I hadn't realised the mods had moved the post already. Thanks mods ;-) :D

Fazz, ground control (Wife) had notified me it was gone 12pm and WTF was I doing starting the car up at that time and think of the neighbours etc :fish: :ballchain:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Yup mine keeps spinning for about a minite once the engine is off. Good to hear you got it on ok though Jim, well done.
If your still using the Power FC it will be interesting to hear any mapping results.

What injectors did you settle for in the end ??

Steve

antgtir

This is normal, not that i would know from personal experience but when Andy aka Mr GTiR turned his off you used to be able to hear the turbo spooling down. This actually happens on every turbo, however more on some than others, thats why you are supposed to let the engine idle for a while before switch off so the oil is still circulating whilst the turbo slows i.e. the bearings do not gain heat due to increase in friction from no oil circulating.

Sounds like the R will be up and running, run in and hopefully setting some good times and power figures in the future, you will have to get yourself down to the japuk meet next month and let us all have a look see;-) :-D oh yeh and a listen lol:lol:

Good work matey.

Ant.:-D

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Hello Steve,
I'm still trying to use the PFC but if I'm still trying in another couple of weeks time then I might swap to an E-manage though I'd prefer to stick with the PFC. I just fancied a change from fiddling with suspension or the electronics and had a go at the turbo. In the short term though I can only run off boost :(

I was going to use 550cc with an FPR but in a moment of madness decided to swap them for some 700cc that give me the option to max out my turbo and detonate my gearbox casing. Target HP is still 400hp though but its nice to know 450hp is just a tuning shop away.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I think ball bearing turbos tend to take longer to spool down, it may be the ball bearings you can hear:?

GTiR_Mic

What size of housing have you got on yours mate? I got my GT3071R fitted 2 weeks ago, I have the smaller housing on mine. It runs a little after the engine is off, it is still showing an air flow reading on the Apexi SAFC.

Mic

kirko

campbellju said:
Thanks David. it makes sense with it being a bigger turbo and having more momentum etc but its good to hear from someone else its normal.

BTW, did the cheque arrive, I've been busy on this so I've not really paid much attention.

Jim

you have pm dude

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
GTiR_Mic said:
What size of housing have you got on yours mate? I got my GT3071R fitted 2 weeks ago, I have the smaller housing on mine. It runs a little after the engine is off, it is still showing an air flow reading on the Apexi SAFC.

Mic
Yep, I've got the small housing too. I've just been out for a gentle run to check for leaks etc and was amazed at high easily the turbo spools up.

When I got back and switched off, I didn't time it but it was around 30s after that the turbo finally stopped turning.

Now I know its normal :-D 8) :thumbsup:

boucherie

jim,
did you need to get any new hoses made up, or did you use the stock ones. if you did get new hoses where did you get them from?
cheers
ian

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
boucherie said:
jim,
did you need to get any new hoses made up, or did you use the stock ones. if you did get new hoses where did you get them from?
cheers
ian
Braided hoses which still weren't dead easy and I had to fab something for the low oil pressure side too. I'd hate to see what a non straight fit is like :shock: