I've only got 2 arms

Escy

Is the SR timing chain one of the most frustrating things ever invented? I've got the bare block with no head or sump in my car. I fit the timing chain to the bottom pulley, cable tie the chain up out of the way and under tension. I then put the timing chain cover on and the sump. I go to fit the head but I realised i'm not superman with 4 arms, to be able to keep the chain tight on the crank pulley, cut the cable tie and fit it through the head while lowering the head. The sodding chain drops down and it's come off it's mark at the bottom.

I have had to pull the timing chain cover off and the sump which means hours of cleaning up the fitting services and re-siliconing them back on. I'm so frustrated with the bloody thing.

The Nissan service manual neatly glosses over the challenging part of getting the head over your tied up timing chain.

The other thing is I need to torque the head down and piss about with the valve shim clearances which means lots of removing of the cam's.

I've seen people cable tie the cam gears to the chain, that's all well and good but does the chain end up with enough slack that it'll come off the crank pulley?

My plan is to torque the head down, do the shims, then put the chain on and the timing cover afterwards, followed by the sump. Has anyone done it this way? Any unforeseen problems? Like not being able to get the timing cover on when the head is torqued down.

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Timing cover should have two protrusions on it which hold the timing chain in place, if they have snapped off which is common then it is a pain in the arse to do.

gtirx2

Cant you shim the head while its still off the car then double check the clearences once its on?

You can also remove the shims with the cams in if you depress the valve spring with the castle headed shim on then swing the rocker out the way,can be tricky on you own though.