killing the rust!!!!(trying)

samgtr

as my turbo blew up last week i decided to take it off the road, and do little bits and bobs on the car to make it better, untill i can get turbo etc

1st of i removed wishbones and refurbished them, wire brushed them to bear metal, replaced all bushes and ball joint, then primer and painted with hammerite red:-D

then removed the wing to get rid of some rust, then primed it with zinc rich primer, still need to weld the holes, still got the other side to do:shock:

need to paint over primer once holes are welded over... also need to seem seal aswell once dry

this is how it looks now lol:-D

once other side is done then will waxoil as much of the car as possible.

Last edited:

Bart GTI-R

Im no expert on body work but looks like you've done good mate, thinking of sorting mine out next year, do a How To Guide!!!

gtir bean

the thing i hate is knowing what paint/rust primer etc to use as there is that many on the market and they all say they work.i git some paint called por 15 that seems good but is it any better than others?no idea.

samgtr

gtir bean said:
the thing i hate is knowing what paint/rust primer etc to use as there is that many on the market and they all say they work.i git some paint called por 15 that seems good but is it any better than others?no idea.
i was told zinc primers are good to keep away rust? hope it works...:?

MORF114

zinc primers are good because the rust attacks the zinc coating rather than the steel.
There is a advert on a boat show with crc rust products about rust prevention every sunday and thats what crc say about zinc coatings.