Knackered clutch (but on a fiat uno) lol - can anyone help?

paz

Just on the off chance that someone might recognise the problem, or be able to help I thought I'd post this here :cry:

My shit fiat uno is a 1992 1.0ie injection beast :lol: I bought the car as a runabout, and besides the head gasket going and the alternator being on its last legs (fiat tat :roll:) its been quite a reliable little car.

Anyway my clutch problems are this...

In the morning when I first start the car, the clutch pedal is really really spongy. It basically travels nearly to the bottom of its motion without much resistance at all. About an inch or two off the floor it resists a bit.

At this stage the car crunches like a bastard when I put it in reverse, and will not go into 1st gear full stop. I have to start off in second :roll: when driving the gear change is mega notchy, and the gear box clunks when it eventually goes in gear.

Once I've driven the car for a bit, it seems to sort itself out - I can select all gears (althought 1st takes a while to become available). The clutch still bites REALLY low, about an inch off the floor which led me to think the clutch was on its way out, but it still grips once engaged and doesn't slip at all - which has got me confuddled.

I've checked the clutch fluid and although it was low, topping it up doesn't appear to have made a difference.

Anyone got any ideas to save me getting bummed by a mechanic to take a look? I'm going to ask on a fiat forum too, but they're all blocked from work :(

Cheers

Paz

Mark_GTiR

Paz, are you really thinking of spending money on a 92 Uno to get it fixed???

Cut your losses and get the R back out!!! :lol: :lol:

I had the same problems with the R - turned out to be the usual master cylinder problem but surely a sh!tty Uno would just be a clutch cable?

Crunch it in to gear like you have been doing and drive it till it breaks.

Mark

P.S. - have you got any pics and full spec? Dyno sheet, Mod list etc.

paz

:lol: It depends whats wrong with it, I'm probably going to keep the R off the road for another 3 months or so, so depending on cost it could be worth it.

I was thinking master cylinder actually, but wasn't sure. End of the day, second hand parts are a piece of piss to get hold of, it just depends whats gone.

Plus to be honest, its in generally good nick, so long as I fix it, theres no reason it wont sell on as a runabout for what I spend on it ;)

Paz

p.s. I'll sort you some pics out :lol: No dyno sheet, but I'm reliably informed it should be running about 354bhp atw @ -0.7 bar of boost :lol: spec sheet includes lightened and balanced front headlight (smashed :lol:), uprated headgasket (i.e. one that doesn't leak at the minute) aftermarket 13 inch steel 'drift culture' wheels and full respray in italian rosso racing red (pink) :lol: :lol:

GTiR_Mic

:lol: :lol: This your boogie mobile that you pick up your little boys in.

A Fiat Uno, hang your head in shame :wink:

never read the problem fully (To many mangers about at work) It will be a cable clutch, so you can adjust it for the pedal. If it is on it's way it it will start slipping or it the bearing goes it will lock in gear. (this happend to my 1.6 Sunny)

Mic

paz

GTiR_Mic said:
:lol: :lol: This your boogie mobile that you pick up your little boys in.

A Fiat Uno, hang your head in shame :wink:

never read the problem fully (To many mangers about at work) It will be a cable clutch, so you can adjust it for the pedal. If it is on it's way it it will start slipping or it the bearing goes it will lock in gear. (this happend to my 1.6 Sunny)

Mic
:lol: They love the angular looks and raw performance ;)

Its actually a hydraulic clutch, which I was suprised about.

Paz

GTiR_Mic

Might take a bit for the fluid to take effect? Air in the system?

Thought about changing the oil in the box?

Mic

paz

I wondered about that, could be worth draining I suppose - even I'd have a go at that on a fiat uno :lol:

couple of other thoughts on a fiat site have been clutch release bearing and master cylinder.

Bit of a bastard really.

Paz

GTiR_Mic

I say give it to a scrapys and get a push bike. Means you couldn't pick up the wee boys but will be a hell of a lot cheaper.

Mic

paz

Dooie Pop Pop said:
you couldn' t even fit a seat to your R so wtf makes you think you could fix a fiat :roll: :lol: :wink:
I don't mind breaking the fiat trying, the R is my baby :lol:

Paz