Knickers!!! is this serious?

SPEN

Not been on here for yonks but just recently decided to get my finger out and get the R on the road.Just been to the garage for a can of petrol to top it up.Started the car and its very spluttery,popping and burbling with the faintest of touches on the gas pedal? Almost sounds like a car on launch control? Swear i heard a faint ping and the engine check light is on? I have disconnected the battery hoping for the fault maybe to reset? GRRRRRRRRRRR I was hoping to mot it next week! any ideas or thoughts? cheers

if it sounds like launch control does that not meen its running on 3 cylinders? i know thats what mine sounded like lol.

skiddusmarkus

I've recently decided to get mine back on the road too.Search my thread "Starting and engine thats been stood a while" as it covers a few possibilities.

SPEN

Right the dipstick that i am forgot to say it has an APEXI AFC2 on it. This 100% needs setting up as the world and is dog have messed round with it before i bought the car. I have switched off the G Reddy boost control unit i think. The pamphlet i have for the Apexi is only readable if you are a rocket scientist????? Is there a way of switching the Apexi off and the car running standard? cheers. If i can get it running smooth again i will put some updated pics of the rally slag on! Just to add the car isnt being driven but has been started every week and runs sweet as a nut but just went rough the other day?

SPEN

Can i just disconnect the electrical block to the G-Reddy boost controller and the connection to the Apexi AFC2 without any danger? will it just run as standard? cheers

shroom

what mods do you have on it to make the safc useful? if its just stock injectors, stock afm, then unplug the thing, or just reset everything to 0 then it wont do anything anyway and you can still have the nice little eluminated dials there

SPEN

Dont think there is any major mods on it? Uprated fuel pump, exhaust, air filter.Standard intercooler.The paperwork mentions a turbo technics hybrid stage 1 turbo? Not after silly bhp was happy with my totally standard Sunny GTIR that i used to have.Just want to get it running as soon as possible without worrying about all the settings? If its safe to unplug the turbo boost unit and the Apexi without causing any damage,i will be well happy.

SPEN

Right,unplugged both gizmos.Started her up and sounded ok? Idle sounds smoother but as soon as you touch the pedal it bogs down the revs burbling and popping splutter? Engine check light comes on again? Im baffled as nothing has changed from last week and is was great? Going to take the intercooler off and check all pipes and check for water down the plug holes.Buying new plugs anyway so may as well double check for water down them? Hmmmmmphhhhh.Starting to remember why i got rid of my other!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
No. Once you've spliced that into your loom you can't really just turn it off; you can reset it to the default values which should make the car usable until you can get it remapped.... but remapping it is what is required.

shroom

why cant you just unplug a boost controller? and put a few pipes back I didnt mean the safc so much but yer thats true there isnt just a plug is there or is there I cant remember what the loom looked like when I wired it in now, but the safc you can splice it into the loom and if it is all set to nothing then its not going to do anything...

projectgtir

If your apexi fuel controller is the wired the same as my apexi neo fuel controller you cant just unplug it, as the air voltage value goes to the apexi then out of the apexi then into your ecu .
how its wired ,
Air flow meter------input of contoller-------output controller --ecu

The ecu wont be getting a value to run the car, what your need to do is get at the ecu wires and remove the controller wires., then solder the air flow meter wire to the corret wire of the ecu . Then the car will run on just ecu.
If you go to apexi.com you should be able to find the wiring diagram .

shroom

yer I see i could not rememeber if it ran through the apexi first, :) but im sure I never had to remove wires fromthe ecu just "splice" into them so when unplugged would it not just carry on as normal as it is still eventualy going to the ecu, I dont realy know that much about wiring as you can tell

just go into it and return everything to default then you have a good base to trouble shoot other areas and know for sure that your safc wont be dabbling

Last edited:

SPEN

Cheers guys,going to put new plugs and dizzy cap on it on monday.Reconnect both units and try and fathom how to set it to default? I will get there! or if there is anyone in the wigan ish area that can set it up? cheers :)

SPEN

Wehey! Put new plugs in and a new distributor cap on(actually got a rotor arm and new leads also but not fitted them). Initialized the SAFC2 to return it to factory settings and all is good again! :) Few more jobs then bang crackle pop off to the MOT man!