Knocking Noise!!!

P

Pulsar666

Ill try and keep this brief, Fitted my new engine, clutch, and gearbox this weekend. Turned the key and it started first time!!! Had it idling and it sounded sweet but when i reved it i could hear a knocking noise.
Checked it all over for the obvious, wasnt coming from the top or bottom end - so engine is ok.
Checked to see if it was from the gearbox and it sounded like it was coming from the bell housing - this is where it is the loudest and if you put a screwdriver on the bell housing you can feel it knocking??????
Has anyone had any similar problems when fitting a new engine?
Or can anyone shed any light on what this might be?

Any help would be much appreciated

Many Thanks

Martyn :D

J

jiw

could be something clutch related catching on the bell housing, Tried turning it by hand mate?

P

Pulsar666

Yeah i did that first mate before i put the engine in just to check it was ok.

MarkTurbo

Were all the dowell pins that locate the gearbox in place :?:

If you're missing one it means the box wont be located properly and the clutch cover plate will rub the bellhousing on the box :wink:

You can usually feel it if you turn te engine over by hand though :?

P

Pulsar666

All dowell pins were in place, I havent got a clue what it could be???

P

Pulsar666

Does it with clutch down as well. Although its at its loudest by the gearbox im starting to think the big ends have gone???? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

P

Pulsar666

Had the sump and that off!! Covered in OIL!! Found number 4 big end bearings shot!!!!

Does anybody know where i can get 0.25 oversized bearings from?????

Quick story - Took it apart, Engine rebuilt 2000 miles ago, bought the engine couple weeks ago, Found number 1,2,3 bearings oversized which is what it is suppose to be, then took number 4 bearings out and they had standard stamped on them!!!!

If anybody knows where i can get these from it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Martyn :wink: