Left rear brake disc - well hot

A

Az

Just checked all my wheels as last week I had new discs and pads fitted all round.

Noticed that the left rear disc was VERY hot, way way hotter than all the others. Could it be a seized caliper?

Either way I'm gonna have to get the wheel off at the weekend and have a look, just wondered if anyone could give me a heads up beforehand?

Thanks 8)

J

Jamz

I had the same problem. I took that caliper to bits, cleaned up and copper greased the runners for the pad and wound the piston back in a bit and it's been fine ever since.

OZ-Racing

I have got this problem now (as per thread title, but rear right).

How easy is it to copper grease the runners. Would you have to completely remove the caliper and then flush and bleed the brake system? :? Hope not as I have never done that before and wouldn't know where to start (I don't wanna die :shock: ).

Could somebody please give me an idea of what's involved, or should I just get the garage to do it?

To give you an idea of my mechanical competence / incompetence level, the most daunting task I have undertaken on the R so far is to fit lowering springs single-handedly using spring compressors, on my driveway. I pood myself :roll: :lol:

J

jimmymc

i know it could be a siezed caliper but i had this problem and it was the wheel bearing that had gone . generates a lot of heat when its knackered . was not alot off noise and only a small amount of play but ive since changed the bearing and its been cool ever since.
cheers jimmymc

J

jiw

you will see with time, the disc will go purple :lol:

is that wheel getting more brake dust than the others? that should tell you what it is

OZ-Racing

Yes, back right seems to be kicking off more dust than even the fronts :shock: , but not gone purple....... yet! Also there is slight brake squeal coming from it (under braking).

So it is either a stiff caliper or stuffed bearing. I think I'll get the garage to have a nosey next weekend cos I have my MOT and see what they say.

Cheers guys.

P.S. It's snowing here now, quite heavily, might have to take the R for a little play if it settles :twisted:

J

jiw

been snowing here since the early hours, my car is in bits in my mates garage, shame its in the middle of nowhere, cant even get up their to work on it as it is snowed in :cry: :cry: