Look what what I found about the SR20DET

S

Sirnixalot

He is right . After 500hp you should resleeve (liner) the block with the Jun/Darton units.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Well after reading that I think I'll go and get a +50 bhp Nitrous kit from RSX :twisted: , that should take me to some where around the region of 370bhp on standard internals

turblio

I agree but as he says ignition timing, cooling and fuel grade decides
if and when it goes bang, good find steve 8)
Frank

S

Sirnixalot

nitrous on stock pistons isnt going to last long

the ring lands can only take the higher cylinder pressures and temps for so long (Ey Ginga :wink: ).

If i were you i would put the money toward a good engine managment system and getting it mapped.

B

Ben Chandler

so with the correct map I'll be able to run a very safe 350bhp on standard internals?

Need to do lots of dyno tuning, development and fine tuning to ensure that there's no det?

Thats what I'm kinda readin into that link... Is this right?

Nad

Nice to see someone else is a member on that forum :D Aint been there for a while.

Nad

P.S. Anyone seen HO4 yet, I'm skint and cant afford to get it!

S

Sirnixalot

Oap-r im not saying the pistons cant handle boost.

Im saying that the extreme cylinder pressure and temperature that nitrous oxide porduces when it is ignited combinded with higher boost will not be kind to the ring lands.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
N1SMO said:
i thought whr using nos yor engine ran colder.
It should do, but the burn characteristics of the mixture change and you realy should retard the ignition timing to suit.

S

Sirnixalot

not true.....the AIR TEMP is colder. The explosion is rather large and violent.....this is what give that extra umph and power.

turblio

I think its meant to run cooler at the given nos and boost level
than trying to run the equivalent power on boost alone :? if that makes sense!
Frank

S

Sirnixalot

Nitrous oxide as a liquid goes through the lines and is atmoized at the nozzle, this sudden release of pressure allows the N2O to convert from its liquid form to its gaseous form. This conversio from one state to the next is also an endothermic reaction, the energy from the air molecules around the N2O is taken to produce the gas....this lowers the temperature of the air/fuel mix after it comes into contact with the newly converted gaseous nitrous oxide.

When the nitrous oxide is compressed at great pressure with an immense source of heat it will explode. This is because the Nitrogen atoms are broken from the Oxygen atom, this explosion is Exothermic, it gives out energy (in the form of heat) from the chemical reaction it took to break the bonds between the nitrogen and oxygen atoms. The oxygen is burnt with the extra fuel. What role does the nitrogen play you ask? It acts as a gaseous buffer to profect the walls of the cylinder, valves, combustion chamber and pistons.

If any one needs it broken down or further explanation just ask 8)

A

Anonymous

As i understand it as it is NOS and is cool due to compression and therefore there is more oxygen density which means you can cram more fuel in which means more mixture = more power. But NOS drastically increases temperature because of so much combustion. So yes it comes in cool but causes ur engine to heat up badly. Hence why it is used in only short bursts otherwise people would run solely on NOS in say drag races etc.

S

Sirnixalot

Nabsq...what am i going to do with you :lol: its Nitrous Oxide, NOS is a name brand, a subsiurary of Holley. :wink:

S

Sirnixalot

Beg to differ...Holley is a very good quality company....i can only speak on their nitrous systems, fuel pump (walbro's rebadged i believe) and carbs.

anywho back to the discussion