lost all electrical power except headlights and radio.

gtistevo

As above guys was just driving home from the petrol station at night and suddenly lost all dash lights.. then realised i had no speedo, revs, windows, dash gauges, heater blowers,indicators and wipers but weirdly still had my headlights and drove fine.. i did however notice when i got home before i turned her off i sat for a bit and it ran slightly lumpy than usual.. anyone have a slight idea of what i could be dealing with. Much appreciated.

shroom

Might be worth checking all the fuses to see if something has blown, I know there are some i the engine bay too but I cant remember what they do.

Have you had any electrical problems before or have other aftermarket electronics such as boost controller, turbo timer etc etc. Just thinking sometimes previous owners dont always fit things with care abd it could have caused a short

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Basics first, any lights for alternator? What voltage is in your battery,fuses and relays.

Check your earths, there are different ones around the car. The one on the engine might still be there but another one has deteriorated? I've seen the problem the other way around where the engine earth wasn't working meaning the ECU did nothing even though the rest of the car was fine.

gtistevo

Ive just checked all my fuses. There all fine.. il go and check the earths just now. Heads up to where they are to save me looking? Thanks

MarkTurbo

If you don't find anything obvious like fuses etc check the wiring to the gear position sensor in the side of the gearbox casing. The wiring on mine came out of its clip once and wrapped itself round the driveshaft which severed a few of the wires.

It was probably nearly 10 years ago but what you've described rings a bell.