Lug Nuts

nimhbk

Well For those wanting to lose some unsprung weight my new red one's turned uptoday, instead of shelling out £70 for some rays one's i purchased some made by a company called Zenki.
For £20 they are a cheaper than chips upgrade, 0.9 ounces each, and made from, 7075 t6 Aluminum and cnc machined.
Honda guys swear by them

youngsyp

Don't want to pi$$ on your fire but, if you have a look on eBay.com, there's a guy in San Diego selling alloy sets, that weight only 0.6oz for the same money.

He does a few different styles and colours too !

There are also Muteki and Kyogen (sp). These are slightyly heavier at 25g's each but, they're also stronger as they're made from steel.

Out of interest, how much do the OE wheel nuts weigh ?

nimhbk

that was £10 for a set of 16 and £10 to post from HongKong...
And to be fair i will be interested in how long they last to at 26g . but on the honda dc5 website they seem to think they are very good.
Not sure on the Original one's as i have 5zigen lugnuts at the mo, and they are not light.

youngsyp

nimhbk said:
that was £10 for a set of 16 and £10 to post from HongKong...
Yep, same as the ones I mentioned. $20 for the items and $20 for shipping !

Not that it matters as, 26g's is still light for a wheel nut, I'm sure you'll be happy with them bud !

C

Christian & Beccy

Be very careful with these Aluminium nuts, we have had a few break, resulting in a load of agro to cut the remains out!!

youngsyp

Christian & Beccy said:
Be very careful with these Aluminium nuts, we have had a few break, resulting in a load of agro to cut the remains out!!
I'd be more worried about stripping the threads than breaking them, due to durals natural softness when compared to steel.

I guess you just need to not tighten them as much as you would normally, not that the wheel nuts ae particularly tight anyway !

nimhbk

Yes they came with socket key, and yes they did come with a warning note:Do not use a air gun to tighten the lug nuts as this will lead to thread damage:
but as said before the Honda Guys swear by them

P

pulsarboby

:doh: what difference does it make saving a few grams on a wheel nut:roll:

you would be much better off to cut down on the pork pies mate & get some exercise 'as blur would say':lol: :lol:

does make me laugh, when i raced bikes theres 15 stone upwards tubbies talking about there new lightweight rearsets theyve just bought for sill money and saying 'theres another 10oz saved when theyve got a dirty great fat gutt hanging over the tank:roll: :lol: :lol:
shift that and they have lost half a bike in weight and it aint cost them a bean!

MarkTurbo

pulsarboby said:
:doh: what difference does it make saving a few grams on a wheel nut:roll:
Exactly, sort yourselfs out you bunch of sad fookers :der: Next you'll all be machining big lumps out your wheels or putting on unpainted panels to save a couple hundred grams :lol:

youngsyp

Ah yes but, not all of us have the weight to lose !!

It's just part of the big picture and every little helps. So, stop moaning !! :lol:

MarkTurbo

If you're at the stage when you need to look at saving a couple grams on a wheel nut then you may as well save your money and just take a s**t before you drive the car :lol:

In top level motorsort where every 0.05 of a second matters it might be worth while but otherwise its just a waste of time and money :lol: You could take 2 R's with identical power and knock say 10-15 kgs off one of them and i'd put money on the fact that in the real world there would be virtually no performance difference between them ;-)

nimhbk

Well to be fair i did not buy them to save weight, when you have a 15 year old rust bucket, red shiny bits take's your eye away from the bubble rust. And speed if me r hits hits thirty miles hour once a month i am happy, be it on the road, or on the back of me trailer. ( and honda are great cars fella, i seem to remember nissan using the new civic as a base for maybe a new nissan Gtir)

Last edited:

mad max

nimhbk said:
Well to be fair i did not buy them to save weight, when you have a 15 year old rust bucket, red shiny bits take's your eye away from the bubble rust. And speed if me r hits hits thirty miles hour once a month i am happy, be it on the road, or on the back of me trailer. ( and honda are great cars fella, i seem to remember nissan using the new civic as a base for maybe a new nissan Gtir)
You best get your 15 year old rust bucket ,down the pod next sunday ,and show how quick it can go ,i'll be there running my usual 13 second runs lol

nimhbk

lucky if mine makes 13 seconds, on any day
will have my brothers super 7 soon, and it goes like stink,it might give you a run for your money max , so i might join you then

Last edited:

youngsyp

MarkTurbo said:
You could take 2 R's with identical power and knock say 10-15 kgs off one of them and i'd put money on the fact that in the real world there would be virtually no performance difference between them ;-)
Depends where you knocked that 10-15 kgs from ;-)

I've knocked around 2kg's off each corner fitting coilovers and I can feel that the car is more responsive. And that's why I'm now after lightweight rims !

I read somewhere that for every 1kg of sprung weight removed, you should expect a performance gain equivalent to 1bhp. And for every 1kg of un-sprung weight, that jumps to an equivalent of 2bhp.

Of course, weight loss won't just apply to straight line performance but, braking and handling performance too !

Plus, the anodised alloy wheel nuts look priiiddy !! :lol: