Maintinance Costs

P

P10margo

I have been looking into getting a GTI-R but I have had a few people mention that the running costs are quite high. Apart from petrol what do you mean................oil changes, bits going pop (i can't beleive that as i drive a primera, and they are as reliable as a................erm....................................nissan), can someone give me a clue

Moved to Regular maintenance

mattygti-r

P10margo said:
I have been looking into getting a GTI-R but I have had a few people mention that the running costs are quite high. Apart from petrol what do you mean................oil changes, bits going pop (i can't beleive that as i drive a primera, and they are as reliable as a................erm....................................nissan), can someone give me a clue
not being funny but a primera isnt on par with a full on rally car is it, they dont have turbo parts for starts

thast kinda like saying , micras are reliable so an r shoudl be too ? lol

S

stomski

depends how you drive it and look after it mate.

if you only use it as say a weekend car and only travel a few miles, then costs will obviously be lower than the people that use it everyday for work and at weekends.

as with every car, things go wrong, whether minor or major, so be prepared to fork out at some stage :(

run a search as theres loads of posts on this and this should help answer a few q's!

P

P10margo

i was working on the basis of it being a nissan.

what are the pitfalls of owning an R?

mattygti-r

have a look in prb solving , and do a search

unless yovue deep pockets then id advise to not get one

what your other nissan is costing to run x that by 3 or 4

P

P10margo

done a quick search and those things could happen to any car. you have to bear in mind that the cars are 15 years old.

come on folks give us a clue

mattygti-r

P10margo said:
done a quick search and those things could happen to any car. you have to bear in mind that the cars are 15 years old.

come on folks give us a clue
when its all been discussed time and time again , its best to use the search button

normal cars or "any car" dont tend to go throu gearboxes at £500 a pop or have clutches that cost £300 just for the clutch etc, thats just for starters

buy a good one and you will be ok but a rough example will cost you alot

Dooie Pop Pop

tbh and im gonna stick my neck out here......dont listen to a fooking word matty says because his idea of a 'problem' is a blowing exhaust :roll: its a nissan yes :wink: and left standard and looked after it' ll be fine. most people only experience problems after they start fiddling :wink:
running costs are normal if you work for a living btw :wink:

S

Stoned

I've owned mine a year and so far i've spent £35 on an oil and filter change which I did myself :D

Thats really it. Mines only slightly modified, air filter, exhaust etc. Since i'm not a rich man I intend to keep things simple so it continues holding together and running so smoothly.

mattygti-r

Dooie Pop Pop said:
tbh and im gonna stick my neck out here......dont listen to a sodding word matty says because his idea of a 'problem' is a blowing exhaust :roll: its a nissan yes :wink: and left standard and looked after it' ll be fine. most people only experience problems after they start fiddling :wink:
running costs are normal if you work for a living btw :wink:
they are realiable if looked after but ive been very lucky with small issues ive had with my R,

compared so some like lee etc, whos gone throu a number of g/boxes etc, im fortunate

P

P10margo

so unless you have no idea what your doing when modifying, or drive like a dick - you should be ok?

where is that big lump of oak i need to touch?

Dooie Pop Pop

P10margo said:
so unless you have no idea what your doing when modifying, or drive like a richard - you should be ok?
exactly :wink: its only a car at the end of the day even if it does act like a possessed sob now and again :lol:

i think edds always looking for guys to touch his 'oak' btw. iv also heard kierons good for a fumble :wink:

K

KRS

R's are expensive to run, especially if you get unlucky.

I wouldnt jump into ownership without really looking into it.

They are old, not amazingly sucessful rally cars... There are few cars that they compare to and those have similarly high running costs.

The price of the GTIR is not reflecting the $$ required to own one.

They are great cars though :)

Not meaning to put you off, just make you aware.

Dooie Pop Pop

P10margo said:
so unless you have no idea what your doing when modifying, or drive like a richard - you should be ok?
i still think this bit counts the most :wink:

KRS said:
The price of the GTIR is not reflecting the $$ required to own one.
:lol:

you dont buy what ammounts to an small old sports car if you cant afford to run it (yawns)
if you buy an unlooked after shed you will get problems as a friend of matties has just found out :lol:
rubber rots, metal rusts, earths corrode and things break, all normal stuff for a 12yr old car :lol:
if you drive it like a beeitch all the time it' ll cost you in the end which is what a lot of people seem to be doing and then flogging on a sh1tter :(
running costs are higher than a 1.1 saxo or a clio but an R' s an insurance group 19-20 with a high performance 2ltr engine :roll: i doubt you' d find another car with similar performance for less :mrgreen:

stu

geoff pine

p 10 egt had one for six years never had one brake down in 147000 miles of driving :D full service history new clutch every45000 miles used to eat front tyres but no major problems when out of warantie cost 15000 pounds from nissan when six month old worth 900 when sold six years loved it but its not apulsar go for a test drive in apulsar think that will make up your mind had mine two years first stay away from nissan all right for parts as you will know these cars share some parts same base engine had a gold nissan service 264pounds the car was running un limited boost nissan did not spot this air con packed up thay wanted 1000 pounds to fix it thay could no fined an alterenator belt to fit with out the air con pump but could fit a new air con pump and belt had the car recovered from nissan sent to hiteq to have the air con striped out thay noted straigth away the car was running on unlimited boost am now runing 1 bar cars fine had the usual clutch pedal problems fuel leak :cry: think ive sorted that out take some one off here that knowswhat to look for when buying or buy one of here its a love hate thingmost of the time you will love it some times you will hate it geoff :D :D :D 8)

J

justin666

geoff pine said:
p 10 egt had one for six years never had one brake down in 147000 miles of driving :D full service history new clutch every45000 miles used to eat front tyres but no major problems when out of warantie cost 15000 pounds from nissan when six month old worth 900 when sold six years loved it but its not apulsar go for a test drive in apulsar think that will make up your mind had mine two years first stay away from nissan all right for parts as you will know these cars share some parts same base engine had a gold nissan service 264pounds the car was running un limited boost nissan did not spot this air con packed up thay wanted 1000 pounds to fix it thay could no fined an alterenator belt to fit with out the air con pump but could fit a new air con pump and belt had the car recovered from nissan sent to hiteq to have the air con striped out thay noted straigth away the car was running on unlimited boost am now runing 1 bar cars fine had the usual clutch pedal problems fuel leak :cry: think ive sorted that out take some one off here that knowswhat to look for when buying or buy one of here its a love hate thingmost of the time you will love it some times you will hate it geoff :D :D :D 8)
Ever heard of full stops dude..?? :D

Had mine 3 years.. When i first got it all seemed well but a few months into ownership things started going wrong.. 2 years later and the best part of 12 K ive just about got my R runnin as it should.!!! My main problems were all around general wear and tare problems associated with 13 year old car.. Fix one thing and summat else would go.. But after many a rainy day fixing the car and swearing LOTS ive finally got there. :D Yes they are expensive to run when ya take into account Fuel, Insurance and problems but as had been said many a time, If ya look after it, it will look after you... kind off.. :)

J..

Mr GTiR

hi mate

Give me a call or pop round one night for a chat about R's. I've now got mine back from ADR :D

kyepan

mine cost me an arm and a leg to run.

roughly 12k in 18 months, when you factor in petrol insurance tax etc..

some people have no probs.. but i was not lucky.