MD214 @ 1.4 - 1.5bar

Pete Watson

Is anyone running this Turbo at these levels, what are you returning BHP/Torque?

Only just had my car back so not had time to get it on the rollers, a few things i have noticed though, slight misfire at about 6k on 1.5bar but nothing at 1.2bar, going to try a coil as everything else has been replaced.
It also stops pulling above 6500 on 1.5bar, i thought the turbo would be good upto 7k but that's not the case, any ideas why this is happening?

Cheers Pete

JIMMYBACK

i have the md188 turbo thats good for 1.5 1.6 bar ive been in formed it good for about 400 :shock: 8) i assume yours it the slightley bigger model so u can work our work it will be good for from that
cheers jimmy

C

Crazy

I have the MD214 set up @ 1.2bar and it does not stop pulling until the limiter mate and will hopefully :roll: soon be going upto 1.4bar-1.5bar soon but if your car has not been mapped for 1.4bar-1.5bar then that could also be a reason why it back fires and then does not pull above 6500rpm :)

It could be leaning out mate so I would just wait until you get it mapped/set up for those boost levels :wink:

Or if I get mine done first I will let you know the outcome 8)

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
If you have a power drop off at those levels from the MD 214 it will partly be because the turbine housing is the .64 AR one, Turbo Dynamics turbo's seem to come with this turbine housing as standard. Like crazy already said though if you get your fuelling sorted and get it mapped you should find an improvement. Alternativley if you still find your not pulling enough power at the top end after those mods then you could try getting the larger.86 AR turbine housing, that will move the power band up the rev band a fraction but will pull for longer.

Your misfire could be faulty or incompatible plugs, leads, coil, fuelling, air leak, knock sensor....................on & on & on & on...........................
Just because it's a new component doesn't mean it's compatible or not faulty in some way.

Pete Watson

@1.2bar it't fine, pulls all the way, it's only when i run 1.5bar do i notice the power tail off. The car has only just come back from having a Power FC fitted and set up, so i would asume that the mapping is going to be correct. The rev limiter has been set to 7k by the tuner, he said there was not much point in setting it any higher as he also noticed the lack of pull after 6500 when out on the road driving it. He put it down to an increase in back pressure but also said that the turbo itself was too small to give good top end power at higher boost settings.

When i say misfire it is only slight and only once, again only @1.5bar, however this does need to be sorted and soon, i am going to try a coil as a matter of course and go from there, the coil on my car in the original item by the looks of it, maybe 14yrs have started to take it's toll.

Rgs Pete

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I was told that the MD 205 through to the MD 196 was good for up to 2 bar. Just call Turbo Dynamics, speak to craig or mike and they will tell you where it's best power band is.

C

Crazy

I read that the MD214 would be at its best anywhere upto 1.8bar so that sounds about right :D

Pete Watson

I am using 700cc inj's, the car has 4 boost settings 0.8, 1.0, 1.2, 1.5 bar, i think that is the amount you get with the Power FC, from what i have been told the Power FC will hold all the data to adjust fuel ign and air to suit the Boost you decide to run, i may be wrong. I also have the Apexi Boost Controller fitted along with the Hand Commander. From what i am lead to believe any turbo can be set to say 1.8bar for example, this does not mean it will achieve good power, once the turbo gets beyond a certain speed it creates too much back pressure which results in a loss of power. Again i may be wrong, basically i am interested to find out if anyone is running an MD214 at say 1.5bar, what sort of power they are getting and have they noticed if the power tails of at around 6500rpm.

I was thinking about ditching the MD214 and looking at maybe getting something a bit bigger that would be able to support 430-460bhp at say 1.4bar, i would want to stay with internal wastegate and std manifold.

Rgs Pete

O

Olly

i have a md196 pulls forever but can hear fair amount of pressure building up in the downpipe when flatout sounds like a jet engine, bit of lag but awesome fun once you got her wound up. :wink: just running mine at 1.2 for now will move to 1.3 1.4 soon.