MD214 & MD196

N

Ninj-r

Is there much difference between these two turbos? I have the tech specs but they are a bit meaningless to me.

Both are roller bearing
both have 'special' 54mm GTS25 76 trim turbines (?)
both have 76mm T04S compressor wheels (53mm inducer) (?)
214 has a reprofiled compressor housing, t28 compact GT series rollerbearing core, left hand thread "low inertia' shaft and wheel fitted with staggered gap/total seal turbine end piston ringfitted, 0.64 A/R turbine housing uprated 14psi actuator. Choice of uprated actuator and modifid wastegate. capable of 420hp
196 hasLarge 0.70 A/R reprofiled compressor housing with 3'' inlet and 2.5'' outlet, t28 compact GT series rollerbearing core left hand thread "low inertia' shaft and wheelfitter with staggered gap/total seal turbine end piston ring fitted, 0.64 A/R turbine housing uprated 14psi actuator. Choice of uprated actuator and modifid wastegate. capable of 450hp

Don't know what all that does but which one is the 'better' of the two

GINGA

the 196 has a much larger compressor housing and will require different intake and outlet piping
the 214 should be a dircet bolt on

skiddusmarkus

You'll need to modify the oil return flange&gasket on the 214.It cost me £15 at an engineer but if you're handy with a welder then it costs nothing.

The 214 spools up very quick-faster than standard and pulls much harder once it's going.It's still the original T28 size whereas the 196 is more like a T4 with a much bigger compressor housing.

GINGA

I'd go with the 214 personally for ease of fitting etc I also suspect the 196 would be far more laggy :wink:
For a cheaper option look at the gt2871r 8)

Nad

I have the 196, been sitting in my cupboard now for over 2 1/2 yrs :cry: Back in the day a lot of ppl used to run them but the price at nearly 2k has meant alot now use atp turbos or whoever it is from america cause they are a lot cheaper.

DRC

i got the md214 and it is a great little unit, spool up is fast and its good for big boost too.!!!
the best bit is when you turn the car off and the turbo is still spining for over a minute . lol

C

Crazy

Definatley the MD214, quick spooling and good for 420bhp :wink:

Its doing fine on my car 8)