Miles/KM

G

Glenn

Just prior to buying my GTIr there were 88500 kms on clock. The guy i bought it off then had it calibrated so that the speedo then read in MPH rather than KPH before i purchased it from him at my request. However, now the odometer reads 92000 of which most are Kms. I need to get this to read the mileage. Anyone with knowledge on how to alter the odometer so it can show the legitimate mileage??? I cant trace who did the conversion so cant get hold of any conversion paperwork unfortunately!! Cheers.

F

Fizzy

If the speedo is in MPH now, the odometer will now show in miles. As to what it already shows, I'm afraid you'll just have to live with it.

G

Glenn

There must be a way of winding the odo on or back :?
How difficult is it to disconnect the odo apart from the back of the dash and then open it up to alter :?:

F

Fizzy

It's not easy, you have to take it apart, and it's probably illegal too :p

Shaun

:shock: It is illegal :shock: Just keep your old MOT's and any paper work that can prove the mileage before it was converted :!: I have full JAP service history with mine,all conversion documents and the first MOT when the car entered the country :!:

N

N1SMO

I think you will find it is not illegal to change the odometer if you are changing it to the correct mileage; it is only illegal to change it for purposes of fraud. You might for instance get new clocks from Nissan and have the mileage changed to suit.
I changed my mileage when converted from kph

J

jasegould

If the speedo is in MPH now, the odometer will now show in miles
Mine didnt......... :? Thought it was funnt that I was clocking up loads of mile when i wasnt really using the car that much, did a run that i knew was a certain amount of miles, tured out the speedo was in miles and the odometer was in KM.

F

Fizzy

N1SMO said:
I think you will find it is not illegal to change the odometer if you are changing it to the correct mileage; it is only illegal to change it for purposes of fraud. You might for instance get new clocks from Nissan and have the mileage changed to suit.
I changed my mileage when converted from kph
I think you'll find it is

geetee

If it's imported you're never gonna know if it's clocked or not anyway.

As with most cars of this age sensible buyers will go by the condition of the car and what's been done to it. They will also understand a high figure accumulated as a result of your speedo reading in kmh for periods of time.

Your just likely to raise more suspiscion by cracking open the odometer and having numbers that don't line up and are obviously clocked.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

M

Mulisha

I bought my R from a Japanese auction and every car they were selling was clocked at 86000 Khm, funny I think