Mocal Oil Cooler with Lines for Front Mounting

antgtir

As title, i need a Mocal oil cooler at least 13 rows, with braided oil feed and return lines please.

Also required is a thermostatically controlled sandwich plate.

Many thanks,

Ant.8)

rayman75

ebay is your friend my son:lol: .

this the one i have got
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG-13-row-oil...ryZ27380QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Oil-Cooler-13...ryZ72205QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

sandwich plate (this is the one that i have on mine)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OIL-COOLER-SA...ihZ005QQcategoryZ9889QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

then find your nearest pitrek http://www.pirtek.co.uk/service_centre_locator.php tell them what your doing. you will need 2x 90 degree 1/2"bsp fittings and 2x straight 1/2"bsp fittings, the best thing to do is if you have some old hose laying around anywhere is make a template up using the fittings, then take it to pirtek or any other pipe company and get them to make up your template in any hose you like. i went for some single cotton braid with swagged ends on, this pipe is plenty good enough as it could take in excess of 10bar.

it is really simple, and will save you a few bob over the £150 Mocal kit.

if you need any help Ant just drop me a pm.

here are my pics again to give you a idea

and here is where the pipes come up through the engine bay, i bought some protective wrap to go round mine to stop any chaffing in the engine bay.

Last edited:

antgtir

Thanks for that, did you get that specific sandwich plate as its referenced to the VW? Is this size of seal ring ok for the R?

Ant.

Mr GTiR

I've know where there is a sandwich plate for sale and it's local to you. Text me if your interested.

rayman75

antgtir said:
Thanks for that, did you get that specific sandwich plate as its referenced to the VW? Is this size of seal ring ok for the R?

Ant.
yep i was advised by the guy selling that the golf one fits the R, and it fits perfectly.

i also have a sandwhich plate but its not a thermostat one.

stumo

why does everyone seem to thread the hoses on nthat side of the engine....it makes more sense to route them round the passenger side of the engine, yes the pipes are slightly longer but you won't have any problems with them touching the belts or getting sliced through by the alternator pulley etc etc.

Make sure you get 1/2 inch pipe (ie AN-8) minimum as getting a smaller bore can cause a drop in pressure.

And get a sandwich plate with a thermoatat, your oil (and engine) will thank you for it.

rayman75

stumo said:
why does everyone seem to thread the hoses on nthat side of the engine....it makes more sense to route them round the passenger side of the engine, yes the pipes are slightly longer but you won't have any problems with them touching the belts or getting sliced through by the alternator pulley etc etc.
tbh i didnt think of it, but thinking about it i would have been better mounting the cooler the other side and running the hoses the other way behind the engine i suppose. but i did make sure mine was no where near anything which could damage the hoses, it is nowhere near the alternator.

Mr GTiR

Mine was routed round the O/S of the engine and i found mione to be rubbing. Since speaking to stumo i've changed it to go round the N/S and is a much better route.

antgtir

Andy if you have any sources for all the necessaries could you let me know as time is running out and ideally id like to have one installed before 2nd September, if not dont worry.

Cheers,

Ant.

P.s. Stumo, I agree, i would have gone to the N/S of the car as like you say its alot less cramped ;-)

Daza

hi guys dont suppose anyones got any piccies of the hoses going round the N/S as if it is a better route i would go that way, going this way are the hoses going over engine bay or underneath engine round gearbox!

cheers daz

antgtir

I would say they would sit pretty much on top of the gearbox as this would be the shortest length of pipework required.

As long as the pipes are strapped well away from any moving parts i cant see a problem were ever you go, just make sure you dont wear a nice hole in them by mounting them in a silly place.

I should hopefully have my parts arriving either this weekend or some time next week, nothing like leaving things until the last minute lol

Ant.

antgtir

Ok, the parts arrived at the weekend and as usual i was eager to install them and get it all running asap.

So the cooler has been located and the two pipe feed and return have been routed on the passenger side of the vehicle thus avoiding moving parts such as pulleys etc.

I must adit the guy i bought the cooler off was extremely efficient and i would off my own experience recommend him to others.

I bought the 13 row Mocal oil cooler with SS Braided lines, thermostatically controlled sandwich plate all for less money than some were trying to sell inferior bits. All the parts would have been recieved the next day but we were out and so had to collect it the day after8)

The seller (ebay) was "mattyzx" and this guy has a number of kits for different vehicles.

I managed to front mount the cooler in the N/S duct area, at a skew so the flow of air passes over the full face of the cooler instead of just a portion of it. The lines were routed through the inner wing hole and behind the N/S headlight. This worked really well. The sandwich plate was tightened onto the oe filter housing so that the inlet / outlet ends were facing towards the N/S, this enabled the lines to be placed on in a horizontal manner which worked well as the lines sat onto of the trasnfer box therefore taking the weight off the ends of the sandwich plate. Straps were then used to brace the cooler in place.

Took the car for a spin and a reasonble slog and no leaks were found etc:thumbsup:

All i have to do now is fit a cut down version of the brake duct or some other form of protective plastic sheeting to prevent stones from flicking up at the coolers face.

All in all the cooler buying / fitting went very well indeed, which is almost too good to be true lol:lol:

Ant.

antgtir

Well i got the 13 row cooler "Mocal", Thermostat sandwich plate, SS braided lines for front mounting and the two standard Mocal metal straps for £154 posted.

Bargain for new and when others are selling top mount equivelant for £160.

All you have to do is state what items or additions you want etc. If you were to top mount the kit and not have the thermostat sandwich plate, the kit would only cost around the £120 mark :)

Good luck.

Ant.

MORF114

think i paid 160 for a 19 row, thermostat sandwhich top mounted though and delivery to nz through this guy came pretty quickly too considering family items take ages to come through the post from uk.