mot due

samgtir

My mot is almost due and i'm gettin worried, last year it took 7 time to pass the emissions test, is there anyway i can get my emissions down? the cars running fine the lamda working fine i had it checked at nissan, i cant understand why is c02 os high.

Braveheart

My MOT is due soon to.
Bought the car in November. It has a mongoose with cat back pipe but I do not / did not get a cat with the car. Anyway, I put it into Falkland Performance for a full service and discussed the CAT issue with them. They explained the following:

Vehicals from Aug 92 should have a cat. However, there is a grey area in the law which relates to a vehical list and they said that if the car is from AUg 92 to 95 and not on that list (GTiR is not) then the testing station have to use the default emissions values (below 3.5%) and set the machine up default.
They tested my emissions and they were well within limits.

When it comes to my MOT, I will have to find a test station that understands this and hopefully not have to source and fit a CAT. May just use testing station that FPer' use.

Make sure the car gets a good run prior to test. This will clean out any soot / carbon deposits that would back up the exhaust gasses.

gtirneil

Ive just had an MOT today and it failed on emissions and being way to loud, so im having a universal back box welded on :( and the cat is going back on

P

pulsarboby

emissions should be taken at 3.5 max as braveheart has said!
if its above that

1. make sure car has had a good run and is hot when tested (so lambda sensor is functioning correctly, if cool it will run richer)
2. prior to mot, put 2 tins of injector/fuel cleaner in tank and give it a good run round, this will remove any carbon deposits from injectors etc, so you get a good atomisation with fuel and air mixture

gtirneil

I will see what happens tomorow with mine, he said it will pass with the cat back on, if not i know someone who WILL pass it.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Mine went through decatted with emissions of less than 0.1% the first couple of years, last year it had risen to around 0.3% CO. I'll see what it is in a this year couple of months.

gtirneil

Will having a fookerd coolant temp sensor, running 0.4bar (safc mapped to 1.3 but dont think it matters) and having the car stood for 3 months with the same petrol in make a difference, also had a nice big hole in the front pipe :(

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
gtirneil said:
Will having a fookerd coolant temp sensor, running 0.4bar (safc mapped to 1.3 but dont think it matters) and having the car stood for 3 months with the same petrol in make a difference, also had a nice big hole in the front pipe :(

Yeah, you'll probably fail on emmisions and being too loud.

D'oh!!!:doh:

:p

Braveheart

Woohoo! My car passed MOT yesterday. Nothing needed. Linwood Nissan - Glasgow.
Maybe had something to do with the +1000 quid I spent getting the car up to par.
Thought the 3" Mongoose with de-cat might have raised an eyebrow but all was well.

A

another sunny

May....................castle combe................i need more info please

geoff pine

Cambridge_pulsar said:
Mine went straight through today :nerner:
So did mine co: 0.53% vol hc: 69ppm vol same as last year but would not fit my cat back 3" janspeed as they said it would fail on noise level . Sam if you want to borrow a cat to get you through let me know.

Last edited:

gunmetalgtir

Braveheart said:
Woohoo! My car passed MOT yesterday. Nothing needed. Linwood Nissan - Glasgow.
Maybe had something to do with the +1000 quid I spent getting the car up to par.
Thought the 3" Mongoose with de-cat might have raised an eyebrow but all was well.

Mate mate works in there! It shouldn't have passed! ;)

And the emmissions test on your car was done at Toyota! :lol:

nimhbk

dont know whats going on up north, jap import car's down here is emmission excempt in the mot centres ive been in... and noise levels my mot guy laughts at the one... you guys are being done.