My luck is in!!!

Escy

Hi guys, I never really introduced myself, just came on here to ask a few questions and I have found you all to be very helpful. I recently bought a Pulsar which was very cheap. It is taxed and tested and I bought it with the intention of tidying it up a bit then running it for a few months and either break it for parts or sell it on to make a few quid. With a dirt cheap Pulsar, I expected problems and it's not let me down, the electrics are all over the place.

I recently advertised it on ebay only for the headgasket to go. I decided to do it quickly before I get any interest. I've opened it up today and had a bit of a result. The engine has HKS 264 cams with vernier pulleys. I was chuffed with that, got the head off and found some pistons that were suspiciously clean, I decided to get the sump off and remove a piston. I have Arrow conrods and HKS 87mm forged pistons! I'm so chuffed with that discovery. It's nice to have a good surprise for a change rather than finding shocking bodges all the time. 8)

Here is the advert with the car in question. Considering the car is for sale, I'm wondering what's the best plan of action to maximise it's value? Do I put the engine back together and increase the price of the car, do I break the car for parts or do I buy a standard engine, fit that and sell my forged one on? If I sell the engine, what sort of money is it worth?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261330627937?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

W

webadmin

Hi Escy,

Sounds like a good find.

Have you worked out why the head gasket went? You were talking about bleed valves and upping the boost without checking the afr on another thread, has your head gasket gone since?

Depending on why the head gasket went may help you answer the question to if you want to repair it or break it for parts.

Escy

I bought it with the water pump gone, turns out it wasn't, an oil cooler pipe was leaking. I fixed that and it seemed ok but it was pressurising and using water, thought it was just bleeding issue but it was the headgasket. Guess the previous owner had cooked it.

I haven't been able to get it over 10psi since I've had it.

W

webadmin

In that case, definitely worth fixing and keeping or selling as a complete car.

The car looks nice so should get some reasonable money.

Good luck

Escy

I'm tempted to buy a standard engine, fit that, sell the car and wait for something nice to turn up needing an engine.