my MOT

L

l333ljh

hey guys and girls. i bought my R few weeks ago and nearly finished the work i had to do for the MOT. i'll get pics up soon just wanna get it on the road first so haven't had time.

just wanted to know if i should be looking out for anything at the MOT station. For example things they could f**k up if they are jokers.

There probably aint much but i don't want something to happen then come on here and someones says you should of told them or something.

cheers guys

Lee

L

l333ljh

also...

... before MOT gotta change my front pads. i thought cool easy job do it today.

took pads out and found the dust seals needed replacing. went to nissan and they only sell the seal kits. so thought i might aswell strip down the calipers and replace all the seals.

1. Is this as straight forward as i think?

2. I know the brakes have to be bleed and woundered if i should completely pump out all of the fluid and replace it (which i am probably going to do) and also if there is any other way apart from the obvious of doing this that people have experienced?

just thought i would ask as i'm thinking most of you have done this many of times.

appreicate the help

cheers

Lee

oldaneal

on the mot the main one i can think of is dont let them put it on the brake test machine, should be a road test

would have thought most places know that thou

J

jpward

Calipers are easy enough to over haul with a set of long nose pliers did mine about 2 months ago took about 3 hours to do all four backs take a bit longer,

yeah just flush all the old fluid out, i used dot 4 to bleed then i flushed after with 5.1

on the MOT front the brake test should not be preformed on a set of single axle rollers due to diffs either a "drive round the centre and stand on the brakes" test or a single wheel roller system is to be used and its in the MOT handbook but you have to say to them also on emmisions if its a Pulsar dont worry dont even need a cat and pre Aug 92 no cat needed other than that id make sure your rear calipers are in good nick as mine just scraped through last year and they were near solid hence why i just did all 4 for test in Jan :wink:

Carlb

hi sorry but what damage would puting it on the rollers do wouldnt there be enough slip in the diff to cope as its only moving for a few seconds we put evos on them at work with no problems just wondering thats all for when mine is due as i dont want to damage anything :) thanks carl

J

jiw

Carlb said:
hi sorry but what damage would puting it on the rollers do wouldnt there be enough slip in the diff to cope as its only moving for a few seconds we put evos on them at work with no problems just wondering thats all for when mine is due as i dont want to damage anything :) thanks carl
:shock: i hope they are four wheel rollers :?

J

jpward

I only found out about the rollers when i asked a rally tuner with 2wd rollers to do my car and got an ear full so i had 2 MOT's done by then all cars jeeps with permanent 4x4 is supposed to be done this way not just our R's and i talked it over with the head examiner over here and he said its old hat and well knowen lucky we only have computerised DVT Centres now so setup for single wheel roller tests i'll let you know in Jan how it goes :wink:

J

jiw

More than likely they tok the cars out and used the brake balance sensor, this is placed on the passenger footwell of the car and measures the brake balance

jonee

r

jiw said:
More than likely they tok the cars out and used the brake balance sensor, this is placed on the passenger footwell of the car and measures the brake balance

decelormeter or tapley meter :wink:

jonee

L

l333ljh

cheers for all you help guys. well appreciated. but just one more question...

... what brake fluid is recommended???

J

jpward

DOT 5.1 not 5.0 these are different or DOT 4 if your a skin flint but remember to bleed with the IGN on if you have ABS and you will notice a difference once you get everything sorted first time since i've had my car i can make my passengers head but the window :lol: :lol:

P

papdog

Jeez, has the punctuation thief been at this thread...... :wink:

Graham