My R is smoking like Dot Cotton!!

J

jiw

ive just fitted a new oil pump after having my R stood for a few weeks, it used to cough a little smoke out from time to time when driving along slowly but its getting more and more frequent, this always occur's off boost, when the slightest bit of accelleration is applied all traces of smoke dissapear, i have checked my plugs and they aint getting any oil on them, could this be my turbo needs reconditioning, it is leaking a little oil from between the exhaust housing and the compressor housing which points me in that direction, hope this aint anything majeor as i could do without the cost of an engine rebuild at the moment, cheer's jeff

P

Pulldog

It could be the turbo mate especially if the car is driving off boost or standing still the seals tend to let oil through them and cause the blue smoke.
See if there is much play in the turbo its self that will give you an indication of the condition of the turbo, how many miles has it done?

A

ard1ey

Could also be your valve stem seals - on boost the pressure stops any oil getting past but when you're off boost you can suck some oil past them.

J

jiw

im hoping it aint the rings, the head may be coming off soon to have the gasket replaced and also get the exhaust ports opened a little and matched to the manifold and while thats going on get some hks cams fitted and shimmed ready for 1.3 bar setup the valve stems will be checked for wear too and replaced if needed.

has anybody used turboactive in hartlepool? jeff

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Rings would tend to smoke more of the time if not all the time. I think it's probably your turbo.

J

jiw

im 99% sure it aint the rings as the car still retains its power and the dipstick stays in :D

just new to turbo engines :? i think i'll get my turbo rebuilt possibly with a 360 degree thrust and possibly roller bearing conversion, is their any other mods that will benefit me, i have standard pistons and wishing to match it up to a set of hks 264's, not gonna be running over 1.3 bar of boost, already got braided hoses etc, jeff

sweetyGTIR

Sounds silly but check your plug gaps it sounds like exactly the same problem i had, i changed my plugs,leads,oil and filter a couple of weeks ago and the R ran like siht, missin an allsorts so i took the plugs out and decreased the gap to 1mm now she goes like stink :D

J

jiw

sweetyGTIR said:
Sounds silly but check your plug gaps it sounds like exactly the same problem i had, i changed my plugs,leads,oil and filter a couple of weeks ago and the R ran like siht, missin an allsorts so i took the plugs out and decreased the gap to 1mm now she goes like stink :D
the car runs spot on mate its just burning a little oil, jeff

gtir bean

mine does exactly the same,oil leaking from turbo etc but it runs fine.it only smokes when lifting off in town etc but is fine when under load.

L

leeboy

its prob the turbo, do you get it on full boost??. Next time you run it rev the car hard in second, coast down for say 2 or 3 seconds then boot it again, if you get a cloud of smoke then its valve seals. turbo is generally on idle it smokes

J

jiw

just pulled the inlet pipe off the turbo, on the shaft i have4-5mm of float and 1-2mm of top to bottom movement, i think its fooked :?

D

disco dave

gtir bean have u found out why it does it yet aslo have u replaced ur turbo or engine bits yet

E

Evo Eater

i would say your turbo's up the creek. i replaced my turbo about 5k ago. mine smoked when you stopped in traffic and when you stopped boosting .

gtir bean

not yet.im going to check the turbo for play soon but im pretty sure it is that(i hope).it runs fine,its only when you are on the overunit does it.i changed the plugs and they were all clean at least.